style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I will try to keep this short as its quite lengthy.

I live alone in a 3 bed Wakefield District Housing house,they bought all the housing stock form the local authority.

When the Bedroom Tax came into force i was out of work & was hit by it for 2 bedrooms,but ive since re-trained and found employment so im now paying full rent & council tax.

Back then i was told by WDH to put this house on the 'Homeswappers' website in order to downsize or get a lodger,so i put the house on the website.

10 months later ive managed to find a family who want to swap to my 3 bed house. They live in a 2 bed WDH terrace house,my daughter & grand daughter live next door,my work is 1 minutes walk away,my brother & his family live on the same street,so it would not only be ideal for me but it would be perfect. I actually listed 30 reasons why the exchange should be allowed. They gave me ONE reason why theyve disallowed it..'Lettings Strategy'.... Here is the pdf.

https://www.wdhomesearch.co.uk/downloads/West%20LLS%202013.pdf

The young family have a toddler,they work & pay full rent & want my 3 bed house,theyve said they would like a sibling for their little boy.

Basically i either accept a tiny 1 bed flat or i will have to stay here or give up my secure tenancy to private rent a 2 bed house which will be £20 PW more expensive,app £105 PW.

My rent is £97 PW & the house id like to swap with is £85 PW,thats a big saving when i only earn £200 PW.

They never said i had to look for a 1 bed property 10 months ago so ive wasted all this time & effort. Where in the law does it say i can't have a spare room?

If anyone out there could shed some light on this i would really appreciate it. Ive written to my Councillor & they have written to WDH but they say they can't actually reverse or force a decision.

Thanks...

Hi sick2death

I can fully appreciate what you say but most councils/housing associations have had to tighten there policies due to the Welfare Reform specifically Under Occupation.

What seems to have happened here is that you are already under occupying one property and under there policies are unwilling to move you to another property as you will

still be under occupying that property.

Even when you mention the friend that move to a 2 bed flat (please note FLAT) in there policy Flat and House is different criteria and most refer to the

General Preferance Policy for that specific area which you would need to request a copy of to see what states.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I suspect the reason they are refusing is that at the moment, you are under-occupying, but other family are not.

If they allow you to swap both households will be under-occupying.

I would suggest appealing. I cant see anything in Lettings Strategy that refers to Exchanges or Swaps. I would suggest asking them to point out what part of Strategy they are referring to.

The only other reason I can think of that they might be refusing would be if one of the households has rent arrears.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Thank you..

No the only reason they give is this 'lettings strategy'. But why on earth can't people have a spare room when they pay rent? Well ive appealed again,so il just have to wait & see. Just wondered if anyone knew if it was legal what theyre saying/doing. I mean i need to downsize & ive already sold one set of bedroom furniture,but ive had a life for the past 45yrs,i need a real place not a shoe box.