• Tweets

• Yes i have all the van drivers details .   I referred to ' driving slowly' to my property because the front end of my vehicle was badly damaged , the bonnet was completely cumbled- exposing the engine underneath. I drove slowly as i was scared of my car catching fire or something whilst i was inside . i drove around 2mp round the corner to my property.   It was a transit van, no passengers in the van. He had been in the area working. He lives in another city.   It was 16:25pm, no lights on any vehicles as it was day light. 
    • yes 10 is it that are still not 'accounted for' - possibly the extra 6 billion? Seems likely that despite the already identified horrendous waste of taxpayer money, failure of competence, lying and crony-ism .. the worst may be (likely is) yet to come
    • We don't allow lawyers to promote themselves here so the advice we give will be from individuals who have experience of dealing with wills and probate/inheritance tax matters.   HB
    • Thanks. Yes I'm planning on speaking to a lawyer but wondered if any frequent here. Mum won't be living in her place once Dad passes as she is not very mobile, she'll be with our daughter who has a suitable room in the short term until we purchase another property. As far as she's concerned her property will be cleared and placed on the market as soon as Dad's passed. Partly due to it being too big and costly for her to keep running.
    • A few people are working hard to find out what contracts haven't been published yet, aren't they? It doesn't seem easy and I'm concerned that as HMG has been caught out, they will try to suppress ways that people are entitled to get information.
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies
  • Recommended Topics

JSA Review and Gambling winnings/bank statements

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2590 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all I've just joined as a little paranoid and would appreciate some help or advice please.

From the start I lost my job nearly 2 years ago and moved back home with my mum.

At that time I had £0 to my name and started claiming JSA, not long after that I started to gamble and have won several thousand pounds over this period.

my money has been accumulating slowly due to me living at home and living cheaply.

yesterday I got a call for a JSA review and drilled about everything I have or may have. I was honest 100% of it except I told them I had a £2300 balance when actually my bank balance is around £3000.

This is because I've been saving for a friend in my account and stupidly I deducted the 700 in my head and never told them this.

at the end of the call they mentioned sending me a letter or something for my bank statements so obviously there going to say 3000 for that period ( looks like I lied ) but very soon my mate is going to want his cash so my balance will go to £2300.

have I done anything wrong here ? well I know I have but is it wrong enough to get in trouble?

Thanks.

There is a ceiling of £6,000 of savings before the DWP make reductions on (most) benefits paid - This could be stocks & shares, savings in a bank, premium bonds or significant cash kept at home.

As long as your total savings are below £6,000 you won't have much to worry about. But if/when they find out you have given them incorrect information, they are more likely to pick over your financial dealings - How far back they go would be up to the DWP...

Now, as long as you didn't put this figure of £2,300 in writing, you could claim "honest mistake". When the DWP ask for documentary evidence of your savings, declare everything - If it all adds up to less than £6,000 (even with the £700 owed), you won't get penalised.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks for the reply and no it was not in writing and it was really a genuine mistake because I don't consider the money mine even though technically I guess it's classed that way as it's in my account.

My savings/winnings have never been no where near to £6000 on JSA , but my statements read like money in £500 paddy power, £250 cassava enterprise, £100 PayPal, £50 PayPal, £20 PayPal etc. all from winnings, but this is ok yes? thanks

if it's showing as going in from Paddypower Etc, you have no problem and well done on your winnings, but when or if you get any cash, If I was you, I would stash your cash under the mattress in future.....and why let your friend use your bank account, that may look a bit odd. tell them to stash theirs under their mattress

My savings/winnings have never been no where near to £6000 on JSA , but my statements read like money in £500 paddy power, £250 cassava enterprise, £100 PayPal, £50 PayPal, £20 PayPal etc. all from winnings, but this is ok yes?

I can see one issue that may become a problem - The DWP might look at the amounts being deposited and view them as "income".

To be honest, I don't know what the official position is on winnings from regular gambling. Tread carefully and make sure you have evidence as to where these deposits originated.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I think there was an Upper Tier Tribunal ruling that said gambling winnings were capital, not income. However, I can't track it down so no-one should take this as gospel.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I think there was an Upper Tier Tribunal ruling that said gambling winnings were capital, not income. However, I can't track it down so no-one should take this as gospel.

Yep, gambling winnings don't count as income - but do count as capital - lottery winners lose their income based benefits.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I suspect you are thinking of CH/412/2007 CH4143/2007

[ATTACH]49006[/ATTACH]

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.