Tax Issue..... Help

tezza1234
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please move if in wrong place, its involving HMRC so figured here would be ok.

Basically i went self employed starting up my own business on 17th June 2012, Before this i was always a employee working in different industries, ive only ever had 9 weeks when i had to claim JSA.

So my 1st tax return is due by 31st January 2014 (im doing it now) so having logged on to the HMRC page its telling me i have a £100 fine for late fileing of tax return for the year 2011-2012, Well i was a employee, tax and NI was automatically taken out of my wages and i know the right amount was paid, i was only in the 1 job for most of that tax year.

So rang the tax office up who told me i owed £594 in tax + £100 fine for the year 2011-2012, so now im all rather confused, obviously i want to contest this, Why did they want me to submit a tax return (which i didnt know about) for a year i was a employee.

As said my self employment started June 2012 so should not be anything to do with that.

Im as confused as hell, I think there has been a big balls up somewhere which is not down to me but ive got to do all the running around proving my innocence, Anyone any advice.

Thanks

Oh dear, end of financial years paperwork must always be kept safely. I'm not sure a duplicate is possible, but you could ask you ex employer if they can supply one.

Make sure you keep all your business paperwork safe and 10 years is favorable.

Oh dear, end of financial years paperwork must always be kept safely. I'm not sure a duplicate is possible, but you could ask you ex employer if they can supply one.

Make sure you keep all your business paperwork safe and 10 years is favorable.

I fully agree with you, my own silly fault, i will look again of course. Im still confused as to why the HMRC feel i should have submitted a tax return for a year i was a employee. and i am 100% certain its a fault and wrong.

Conniff suspects correctly - a duplicate P60 is not available.

If I may ask, while you were an employee, were you a higher rate taxpayer?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hmm, that does seem odd if you were an employee and basic rate taxpayer for the whole of the tax year in question. Probably best if we bump this over to the HMRC subforum for now.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hmm, that does seem odd if you were an employee and basic rate taxpayer for the whole of the tax year in question. Probably best if we bump this over to the HMRC subforum for now.

That would be good, thank you, Odd is 1 word for it, This morning all was good, preparing to start my 1st tax return, paperwork all ready to go, to be hit with HMRC saying i owe £594 in tax + a £100 fine for a time i was not responsible for paying my own tax and NI, Fuming or what.

Are they able to tell you what source this was from?

If it is from your employment and you haven't paid enough tax, it is still your liability even if employer error.

Did you have any benefits in kind as an employee, untaxed bank interest, property income etc?

The tax bill for £18000 income would be around £2100 and NIC £1247. Do you have any payslips or anything from that time? P60? P45?

Are they able to tell you what source this was from?

Did you have any benefits in kind as an employee, untaxed bank interest, property income etc?

The tax bill for £18000 income would be around £2100 and NIC £1247. Do you have any payslips or anything from that time? P60? P45?

Hi, thanks for reply, Yes i have some wage slips, am still looking for p45 - p60, there were not any benefits/bonuses, and yes those approx tax and NI figures do seem about what i paid, This is all just a little strange.

Im assuming ill have as long as i need to get to the bottom of this, what is the protocol if the tax office say you owe x amount, what does the debt come under.

Find out exactly where they think this income is from then go from there.

Sorry what do you mean what does the debt come under?

There is information on their website about repaying - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payinghmrc/index.htm

What i mean sorry is is it like a council tax debt ie full on, fast, court ect.... or a civil thing ie they have to go to CC and get a CCJ ect....

Your right about point 1, i need to find this out

They can take you to court etc but there's loads of steps along the way before that e.g. you can make repayment plans if you can't pay in full, there's appeals processes etc.

If you find the reason then post back I'll try have a look into the specifics for you.

They can take you to court etc but there's loads of steps along the way before that e.g. you can make repayment plans if you can't pay in full, there's appeals processes etc.

If you find the reason then post back I'll try have a look into the specifics for you.

Thats wonderful, im glad there are still appeals processes as i have a feeling someone somewhere has made a boob and im sure it is not me.

Will post back asap

Ok some more info, I found every pay slip for job in question but no p45 or p60, But from wage slips it all adds up, I manually checked the figures and tax and NI was spot on, How do i find out where HMRC are claiming this tax is due from

I can't say for sure what's happened, but I have had penalties levied against me simply in order to jolt me into getting in touch with HMRC.

I was (briefly) a higher rate taxpayer when I lived down in London and worked IT. However, I became unwell, quit the job and moved to Glasgow. After that I spent three years in the USA, but I forgot to submit tax returns for the year before I left, and then of course I earned nothing in the UK for a while as I was resident elsewhere.

Then I returned to the UK, and was greeted by a letter from HMRC demanding £2500 in penalties for not filing SA returns. I wrote them a polite letter explaining the situation, and they withdrew the charges.

My point is, they can be reasonable if you cooperate and politely show them you've done nothing wrong. Whether that's appropriate in your case, I dunno.

The Tax office can be very reasonable and usually are if the taxpayer is genuine or has genuine reason for not filing.

Do you suggest phoning them or are there local tax offices, With me the plot thickens, I submitted my first tax return for being SE, and then submitted this other tax return from when i was a employee, So this £594 i was supposed to owe in tax + £100 late filing fine has resulted in me getting a £300+ rebate minus the £100 fine which they have taken from rebate.

This is all just going to get so messy, I don't know who to call or where to go. Is it really as easy as a phone call.

PAYE Enquiry Line for Employers may be able to help

Opening hours

8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday

8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday

Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day

0300 200 3200

PAYE Enquiry Line for Employers may be able to help

Opening hours

8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday

8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday

Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day

0300 200 3200

The employer helpline can only help employers.

The employer helpline can only help employers.

Call who then :/

Its clear to me that this is there balls up big style and i have indeed overpaid and not underpaid on tax, but as usual i am joe customer who has to run around trying to get my own money back, its so frustrating.