Copyright Issue

Dempsey40
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3685 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently came in to possession of a digital file which I printed with a view of selling copies. I have received an email stating that there is a copyright on the file and that the "theft" of the file is being investigated with a view of court proceedings being issued and to discover the identity of the person being found out. What do I do???

I recently came in to possession of a digital file which I printed with a view of selling copies. I have received an email stating that there is a copyright on the file and that the "theft" of the file is being investigated with a view of court proceedings being issued and to discover the identity of the person being found out. What do I do???

I think we need to know what the digital file is and how you came to have it to be able to help.

I think we need to know what the digital file is and how you came to have it to be able to help.

Agree. Is this anything to do with the company suing Facebook users for sharing something for which they had copyright. ? There was a press article in the last few days about this, but I cannot remember what the copyright material was.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It is a copy of a script that came our way because we was asked to print it for someone else

Think you need to get shot of this, so you can reply that you do not have it in your possession.

Tell the person who gave it to you, that you will not have anything to do with it, as you will not print anything that is owned by a copyright holder without their permission.

Hopefully that should be the end of the matter.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

We already printed 3 copies which they did not collect for whatever reason. So we decided to sell them on a crappy website we set up. The owner of the original copy has been in touch to state that they are investigating the theft of the file, which was obviously given out in the first place for someone to print.

We already printed 3 copies which they did not collect for whatever reason. So we decided to sell them on a crappy website we set up. The owner of the original copy has been in touch to state that they are investigating the theft of the file, which was obviously given out in the first place for someone to print.

Suggest that you take down the website urgently or remove anything that relates to the copyrighted material.

You could stitch up the person who passed you the copyrighted materials, by writing back offering to provide them with the details of the person who passed on the materials to you. Although I suspect that they know this already, hence the printed copies not being picked up. You could say that you were not made aware by this person that they were not acting on behalf of the copyright holder and have not seen any details of the copyright.

Think you need to cooperate with the copyright holder as much as you can and take any actions needed to mitigate against the actions you have taken so far in breach of the copyright.

“I recently came in to possession of a digital file which I printed with a view of selling copies. I have received an email stating that there is a copyright on the file and that the "theft" of the file is being investigated with a view of court proceedings being issued and to discover the identity of the person being found out. What do I do???”

Based upon the foregoing, I would advise and suggest that you are an innocent third party caught up in the wrongdoings of another, therefore, as has been advised by Uncle, you ought to remove the questioned material described as a “theft” from your website without any further delay and until you hear that the matter has been resolved between the parties who are in dispute over the same (my emphasis added).

Kind regards

The Mould

It is a copy of a script that came our way because we was asked to print it for someone else

You have no right to print and sell the copyrighted script without permission of the copyright holder.

I would apologise and return the digital file and the 3 printed copies to the copyright holder and remove them from your website.

• 4 weeks later...

I worked for a printers that were given a file to print for a client. This client in turn received the file under the impression that they were the printers and were printing it themselves but they are just a middle man and gave the file out to the company I worked for.

I left the company but had copies of all files. I was not under any contract and no stipulation had been placed on artwork files. I came across the file in question and printed a couple off with a view of making some money on them.

There is no copyright detailed on the file itself. As soon as it came to light that it was copyrighted the copies were withdrawn from sale and destroyed. None were sold.

The original company that had ownership of the file are now suing the middleman that gave the file to the company I worked for. They are in turn looking into the company I worked for to see how the copies got out.

What can happen to me and what do I need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Threads merged. Please don't create multiple threads on the same topic.

I find it difficult to understand exactly what has gone on here. But it sounds like the item was some of script, which would legally be subject to copyright whether or not that was mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't sound like you were not entitled to make copies and certainly weren't entitled to sell it yourself for financial gain. It sounds like you have put your old employer in breach of contract with its client, and may also have personally breached copyright after you left their employment.

If you have breached copyright, then you will most likely be liable to disgorge the profit you have made and/or compensate the copyright owner for loss it has suffered. However I think you should sit tight until you hear anything more concrete. Unless you have made a lot of money or cost them a lot of money its unlikely that there would be any meaningful action.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS