Bullying over disability at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all! I'm new to the site:madgrin:

I'm actually asking about a problem that my other half is going through at the moment. He's a construction worker and has been with the present company for 2 years.

One year ago, he was diagnosed with Tourettes Syndrome. It only affects his eyes and causes at times, uncontrollable blinking.

I'm trying to cut this story short even though there is so much to say. Basically, his site manager started to make fun of my partner at work. Firstly, he announced to all his work colleagues that he had Tourettes, even though he didn't want it announced. Then he started to make fun of him....he would do things like imitate his blinking to others, laugh at him when he blinked. He then started to give him hell in work, putting so much work on him it was ridiculous....he would get so stressed that his Tourettes would come back and then the manager would shout out "Oh look, he's blinking again boys!" and laugh.

My partner went to head office and said he wanted to be moved away from the manager as he was experiencing bulling in the work place. They done nothing and even went as far as defending the manager.

This has stressed my partner out so much that he went back to the doctor and had to have his meds increased. He went back to work and they told him he couldn't continue with his usual duties due to the increase in meds and have put him on a job, away from everyone. He's made to stand there all day on his own, doing nothing basically. He rang the doc back and told him and even the doctor said there was no need for that, he could continue with his usual job and the medication would not effect it. He has told the company but has been ignored. It seems to me that he's being excluded 1) because he stood up the the manager and 2) because he has a disability.

We really don't know what to do.....can anyone give any advice?:???: Thank you.

Time to get a full complaint in. Disability discrimination is very VERY serious. Go to the HR department, or to the boss of the company.

Are you in a union? Do you have legal cover on your house insurance?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Ok. First check if you or your partnet is in a union. If so, then you BOTH can get advice from the unions legal team. If not, your household insurance may have cover that allows you to pursue this. This means that it wont cost you a penny to get professional legal advice.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks for your advice. :high5: He's not in a union unfortunately and we don't own our home so don't have insurance. It's a nightmare. We could never afford legal fees so have no idea what route to go down. Not sure if the "No win no fee" solicitors would take this on. :???:

Sit tight and one of the regulars will be in to advise. There are ways to get legal advice cheap or free, but im not sure what criteria you have to meet. Since it is blatant discrimination, you really should be forming a FULL complaint to HR and the CEO of the company, and if there is no favouring outcome to your partner, THEN take legal advice.

If you dont get the complaints rolling first, all a solicitor would do is tell you to officially complain, then charge you £250 just for telling you that.

I forgot to add one thing. My partner was signed off for 3 weeks sick due to the stress he was under. After 2 weeks the manager rang him up and said if he wasn't going back he'd have to replace him. He left it as a answer phone message which we still have. My partner went back to the doctor and had to get signed back into work as he was scared that he would lose his job.

Well, you have your doctor on side and your partners illness.

What i would do is sit down and take a day or two and form a solid letter of complaint. Dont ramble in it but take the time to make sure it is clear, concise and coherent. Get a doctors letter ( not a note) and ask your doctor to explain the medical condition your partner suffers from; ( be warned, some Doctors will charge you for this letter). Then send it off to the HR department.

If the response is not favourable, then, and only then, should you escalate it out of the offices hands and get it direct to the senior management team. The reason i say this is because it covers your back, as you will have been seen to have exhausted all other forms of complaint. After the senior management team has investigated, THEN consider legal action.

The reason i stated legal advice in my first post was because you would have gathered the same information ( and a bit more) from a qualified employment lawyer, and it would have been free. Thats the reason i always advise people to join the union. If for nothing else, the legal advice and access to professional lawyers cant be beaten.