style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2122 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Everyone

I have been a BT customer for many years but recently got so fed up with them that I decided to change providers. I was under no contract. One of the reason I was unhappy with them was I suspected I was being overcharged.

Once I cancelled the service I checked online to work out how much I had paid them over a set time. I have bills going back to 11/09/12. At this time, the amount I owed them was '0' as I had just paid my bill. From this date up until 12/12/13 they issued me a bill total of £622.22. I checked on my bank statements and during the same period I had paid them £681.36. which confirmed that I had been overcharged by £59.14. I waited until they sent my final bill which came to £55.56 which then meant that I had actually been overcharged by only £3.58. No big deal as long as the account was settled, I'd forget about it.....

However, I contacted BT customer support via email and explained this, but they continued to chase the final bill of £55.56 and would not except that I had over paid for their services and that they actually owed me a refund. On closer inspection I noticed from my bills that I had also been overcharged on individual bills one was for a duplicate late payment fee of £7.50 and another unexplained admin charge of £8.36. I complained about this and they confirmed I was correct and refunded both charges. They have now deducted these but are still chasing the original final bill of now £39.70 (£55.56 - £7.50 - £8.36). I contacted them confirming that I had received the refunds but it makes no difference to my situation as they still owe me the original £3.58. I am now receiving debt collection letters which threaten legal action maybe taken against me and that my credit rating will be seriously affected if I do not pay them the £39.70.

I am not bothered about the £3.58 they owe me, but I am very concerned about my credit rating which is currently very good. The questions are firstly can they sell the debt to an agency if I am disputing the case. Secondly can they place a default on my credit file and finally should I just issue the £39.70 and forget about it or should I begin my own claim against them just to clear my name and prevent them taking further action. I have been arguing my point via online customer services for over a month and having to go back through my records has cost me hours of time and effort. It seems as though we are in a stale mate type scenario.

I apologise for the long winded post, but can you offer any advice.

Thanks

FB