Empire Magazine (BAUER CONSUMER MED) subscription nonsense

Psychoduck
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need help in a possibly issue I have with Empire Magazine.

Just over 3 months ago, I was called up out of the blue by Bauer Consumer group.

They offered me a bunch of subscriptions for magazines, based on some advertising I'd apparently agreed to.

I only ever agree to advertising if it's with a company I trust, and never allow 3rd party.

When the lady on the phone began to list off the magazines, I recognised who they were.

It was from a website where I'd entered a bunch of competitions, and even won a couple.

I was offered 3 months of Empire Magazine for just £1.

I explained there was no point, because I cant afford the £35 payment at the end of it.

She told me not to worry, it's just £1, I can cancel at anytime,

and that I should do it as soon as issue 1 arrives to make sure.

Issue 1 arrived, I phoned, I cancelled it, I asked her to double check. She did. It was cancelled.

Woke up this morning,

checked my bank due to it being a day when most of my bills go out (everything leaves on the 26th generally, except a few small ones)

and was shocked to see my bank £10 in red, and 1 payment had been cancelled.

It was then that I noticed the £35 payment to BAUER CONSUMER MED.

I've explained what happened to my bank, and they've told if I can get it refunded in 5 days,

they wont charge me for going over my set limit which was nice of them.

The company whose payment I missed wasn't so kind, and they've charged me an extra £6 because I wont be able to pay them now until next Monday.

I phoned BAUER CONSUMER MED up as soon as I'd explained the situation to my bank and the people I missed paying, hoping for a quick resolution.

Turns out that there is no record of my phone call when issue 1 arrived.

Since I've not had an issue on the subscription yet, I asked can it be cancelled now.

Yes it can, but I can't have the £35 back because I paid it and they don't offer a refund unless in an extreme case.

They told me they could send me a different magazine from their range instead, but I can't be refunded.

I've asked to speak to their manager, who said the accounts team would list to call that is on record (the first one) as it was a trainee and her call was recorded.

If I ask her to cancel it on that call, they will refund me.

However, I know I don't ask her on that call, because she told me to call after issue 1 to do it.

We talked about cancellation, but I never asked to cancel, because technically there was nothing to cancel.

Is there anyone out there (on here) who knows whether what they're doing is legal or not.

Like I said, I've received nothing from them so far regarding issues on the £35 subscription

and I definitely did phone to cancel it (I'm always quick to do anything like that, my budget is kept very tight and constantly checked)

Thanks for any help.

its a spoof

get onto your bank and DEMAND a chargeback

if that wont wash use the CPA rules.

you stupidly gave them you debit card details I bet?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

just got a phone call from the lady I spoke to at my bank.

They've cancelled the Direct Debit agreement (she couldn't see it earlier) and the £35 has been placed back into my account because it was cancelled before the payment was properly cleared, and they've put a block on any more payments leaving my account on behalf of Bauer.

So it's got sorted now. Thanks for the chargeback advice though, I was just sorting that out on my online banking when I got the call :)