Mortimer Clarke - Phone Calls

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3740 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not sure which is the right place to post this, so apologies. Please move to the correct forum.

I work from home and, over the last ten days, I have received around 10 telephone calls from a company called Mortimer Clarke. They are trying to contact Mrs Sam and they will not tell me what it's about other than 'it's a serious matter' On each occasion that they have phoned I have told them not to phone again and instructed them to write to my wife at this address. She doesn't work from home but from an office in the local town.

They have just phoned me again and I lost my temper (only a bit!). I told the man, again, to write to her at this address and make a record of my request. All he would say to me was that he could not accept that instruction from me - only from her and she would have to phone him to issue that instruction. He said, again, that it was a serious matter and 'As I had just confirmed that this was her phone number he had every right to keep phoning'. I asked him if they had written to my wife previously about this matter and he told me that it was none of my business! That's when I lost my temper. I told him that I wanted his name and company address and also the name of his boss. He supplied them but continued to assert his rights to phone when he felt like. He also said that any letter would have to come from my wife - not me. I asked him again if they had written to my wife prior to the phone calls and he said ' Well of course we have.' I told him, again, to send copies of the correspondence to my wife and he said that he would not do so unless she contacted them. He then started to tell me again how they were within their rights to keep phoning this number - at which point I told him that he had wasted enough of my time and I put the phone down.

Can anyone please advise me as to what course of action I should now take? Was I right to say that I would send them a letter of complaint? Should I, or her, send the letter? It's obvious to me that they are after my wife for something (!) but she is adamant that she doesn't know what it's about. Also who do these people chase debt for? Does anyone know?

Any help and advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Hi

I believe Mortimer Clark chase debts for Marlin Financial group.

As there is no account number for your wife, it will be hard (but not impossible) for you to write to them and complain.

3rd Floor

16-22 Grafton Road

WORTHING

WEST SUSSEX

BN11 1QP

ENGLAND

There is a letter in the library to assist with phone harassment.

The reason they won't tell you what it is about is down to the Data Protection Act. They have to go through a security procedure to make sure they have the correct debtor.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

MC are another DCA thinking they can break the RULES... Think they are part of Marlin Group...?

They seem to be goading you, dont let them.

Send them a contact by letter only and this constitutes harassment. They dont have the right to phone when they want... They have a RESPONSIBILITY to remove a contact number when requested to by a debtor or a non-debtor.

I would wait for something more in writing to turn up. But i would also complain to them and the relevant authorities on this one... They have no right to talk to you like that.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thanks for both your quick responses. I really appreciate the advice. SilverFox, I have located the letter. Can I send it to them now or should it come from my wife? As for fkofilee's advice do I complain to relevant authorities now or await Mortimer Clarke's response?

Thanks again.

If it is your wife's account then the letter should be signed by her, Sam. Although there is no legal requirement for a physical signature - it could be printed or digitally generated - perhaps use one of the handwriting fonts that come with your word processing package. I quite like Lucida Handwriting :)

citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks citizenB. Should I we send the letter out by recorded delivery?

I would send the letter by a tracked method, yes :)

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Check the Royal Mail Track n Trace a couple of days after sending and print off hte signed receipt - keep the proof of posting and the signature print off with your copy of hte letter :)

BCOBS

I missed the update to this thread xd

Yes CitB is right... If she hasn't received a letter, wonder if they have a wrong / old address.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Did you agree with them that they had the right phone number? If the telephone account is in your name and you have told them not to call then make a complaint to your communications provider about nuisance calls. It is unlikely to be used but there is a sanction that allows for the disconnection of the callers phone if they dont desist.

Eric... Yes there is, but it shouldn't have to go that far... I would suggest that they send the cease and desist letter to them...

If they don't comply then it's enforcement time... Simple.

Companies cannot and shouldn't bully people like above.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Letter now sent.

I've just had another phone call from them. I've started logging them now. I asked the caller (different one to yesterday) to read out the notes from yesterday's conversation, which he did. I then asked why, in view of those notes, he was making the call, He told me that it's nothing to do with me if they choose to phone this number (!) and that they will continue to phone every day until my wife returns their call to discuss the matter or inform them to write to her. He is adamant that they have written to her. My wife assures me that she has not received a letter from them.

I will continue to log the calls along with callers' names. Should I just do that until I have proof of delivery of my letter?

Thanks.