Potential Prosecution - Valid ticket or not

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2120 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

A short description of what happened:-

Needed on Sunday 8th December to meet with Friends 1.00 at Finsbury park.

Checked FCC website at 10.30 approx. - info was no train disruption and the 12.16 train from Potters Bar was running (est arrival Finsbury Par 12.38).

Arrived Potters Bar 12.00 - train cancelled and next two were replacement bus services - earliest est arrival at Fins Park ~ 14.00! (also at this point I overheard someone who had purchased tickets saying that ticket were valid on LT for the day)

Left station and phoned my wife requesting lift to Cockfosters - which she did. At Cockfosters I purchased (an LT) ticket at £8.90 - a travelcard to get to Finsbury park - arrived 1.20 this way. (Note that my wife giving me a lift saved the £2.40 additional bus fare from PB to Cockfosters)

(For those not familiar with the area Potters Bar is outside North London and served by FCC train to Finsbury Park - Cockfoster is 4 miles into London and top of the Piccadilly line)

Spent afternoon as planned and returned to Finsbury Park~ 18.00. Trains were now running to Potters Bar and I used FCC to travel back to Potters Bar (Yes - using the ticket I had purchased from Cockfosters)

Needles to say I was stopped at PB and told ticket was not valid - I argued the point refused to pay the penalty fare - at this stage they would not take or even look at my travelcard.

They took my details and during this a second inspector snatched the LT ticket from my hand saying - needed as evidence They retained the ticket pointing to a bye law that stated any ticket issued remained property of the rail company.

Have now received a letter from FCC stating intention to prosecute and asking for "my side of the story"

I believe that normal custom and practise whenever there is service disruption is to allow interchange of tickets (FCC-LT) - and I have already payed a higher ticket price than I normally would have - hardly fare evasion!

Please advise best way to progress

A short description of what happened:-

Needed on Sunday 8th December to meet with Friends 1.00 at Finsbury park.

Checked FCC website at 10.30 approx. - info was no train disruption and the 12.16 train from Potters Bar was running (est arrival Finsbury Par 12.38).

Arrived Potters Bar 12.00 - train cancelled and next two were replacement bus services - earliest est arrival at Fins Park ~ 14.00! (also at this point I overheard someone who had purchased tickets saying that ticket were valid on LT for the day)

Left station and phoned my wife requesting lift to Cockfosters - which she did. At Cockfosters I purchased (an LT) ticket at £8.90 - a travelcard to get to Finsbury park - arrived 1.20 this way. (Note that my wife giving me a lift saved the £2.40 additional bus fare from PB to Cockfosters)

(For those not familiar with the area Potters Bar is outside North London and served by FCC train to Finsbury Park - Cockfoster is 4 miles into London and top of the Piccadilly line)

Spent afternoon as planned and returned to Finsbury Park~ 18.00. Trains were now running to Potters Bar and I used FCC to travel back to Potters Bar (Yes - using the ticket I had purchased from Cockfosters)

Needles to say I was stopped at PB and told ticket was not valid - I argued the point refused to pay the penalty fare - at this stage they would not take or even look at my travelcard.

They took my details and during this a second inspector snatched the LT ticket from my hand saying - needed as evidence They retained the ticket pointing to a bye law that stated any ticket issued remained property of the rail company.

Have now received a letter from FCC stating intention to prosecute and asking for "my side of the story"

I believe that normal custom and practise whenever there is service disruption is to allow interchange of tickets (FCC-LT) - and I have already payed a higher ticket price than I normally would have - hardly fare evasion!

Please advise best way to progress

It is best to do as the letter requests, to promptly give your version of events in writing to the address shown on the letter that you have received

You refer to your perception of a 'custom and practice', but it is only acceptable to use a ticket on another companies services that are a 'parallel' of that paid for when a formal agreement has been put in place by the companies concerned.

In this case, there is not a 'parallel' service because, as you have identified for yourself, Potter's Bar is outside the LUL travelcard area and Cockfosters is inside that area.

The inspector was correct to report if you refused to accept the Penalty Fare Notice, which you could have appealed.