These are a few examples of entries in my Barclaycard statements ...Which one of these could be 'unfair'?

autumn53
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Friends,

These are a few examples of entries in my Barclaycard statements ...

Card Membership 8th Aug 1996 £10/-

Card Membership Renewal 8th aug 1997 £10/-

Card Membership Renewal 10th aug 1998 £10/-

Card Membership Renewal 9th aug 1999 £10/-

Card Membership waived 9th aug 1999 £10/- (refund)

Card Membership Renewal 8th aug 2000 £10/-

10th Mar. 2003 Late Payment Charge £20/-

8th jul. 2005 Late Payment Charge £20/-

9th May. 2006 Late Payment Charge £20/-

8th aug. 2006 Late Payment Charge £12/-

8th aug. 2006 over credit limit charge £12/-

8th aug. 2007 Late Payment Charge £12/-

8th jun. 2009 Late Payment Charge £12/-

8th jul. 2009 Late Payment Charge £12/-

03rd Oct 2011 Card Balance Transfer Fee £283/-

03rd Oct. 2011 Card Balance Transfer £9760/-

10th Oct. 2011 Interest on your Balance Transfer £0.00 (I don't know why two kinds of interests and the sums are :( huge )

6th Mar. 2002 BCard Cheque , Cheque Handling Fee for 1500/- £22.50

Interest on your Cash Balance x% £xx

Interest on your Standard Balance x% £xx

And a few from my Visa Debit card ...

Overdraft Fee £xx

Monthly Usage Fee (Barclays Personal O/D) £xx

Interest charged x% £xx

Unauthorised O/D Fee £xx/-

Please could you tell me which one of these could be unfair and worth claiming?

Thanks.

Autumn

The late payment charges and the charges for going over your limit. These would be claimed back on the basis that they are unlawful penalties.

Interest on cash and interest on purchases are usually at two different rates on credit cards, the cash interest being the higher of the two.

Have a read around the Barclaycard forum to get an idea as to how to go about reclaiming.....there are also plenty of successes with Barclaycard to have a look at too.

Thanks for the quick response...

So you mean the ones I have written below in RED are unfair charges. Just so I am 100% clear about what I need to calculate and claim?

Late Payment Charge = Unfair

Over credit limit charge = Unfair

Card Membership Renewal = Fair

Card Balance Transfer Fee = Fair

Cheque Handling Fee = Fair

Interest on your Cash Balance = Fair

Interest on your Standard Balance = Fair

Overdraft Fee = Fair

Monthly Usage Fee = Fair

Interest charged = Fair

Unauthorised O/D Fee = Fair

I am sorry I have very little understanding of Bank statement lingo.

Thanks.

Thanks,

So basically, I should say "my money back plus interest' in my letter ... Got it.

Also, these people have been sporadically sending me letters such as the one in the attachment. Something they called Paid Referral fee back in 2005 is now called Personal Reserve Fee.

Can I claim this back too?

I would not think that this one is reclaimable.

You need to prepare a spreadsheet to work out what amount you are due back and you submit that sheet with a preliminary letter of claim.

If they don't respond favourable then you submit a revised spreadsheet (updated with the new interest figure) along with a Letter Before Action and of they still don't pay then you issue proceedings against them.

Have you looked in the Barclaycard successes forum to see the proper way of going about this. A structured approach is best and follow the path that others have successfully trodden.

If you haven't read the successes forum I would suggest you do so. Note that the interest rate which is suggested for Barclaycard claims is 24.9% and you will need to read up about interest in restitution.

Hi Autumn,

Reclaiming credit card penalty fees plus restitutionary compound interest is still a viable option with BC. As Ims says, read successful threads about this in the BC forum and in the Barclays Successes forum.

However, you also refer to Paid Referral fees and Reserve Usage fees. These relate to bank current a/c's and are not generally reclaimable.

The two issues should be on separate threads and I suggest you start a new thread just for the BC reclaim, in the BC forum.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

ok thanks for the advice. In this thread I was just trying to identify what is unfair. Am currently reading through other people's posts to do the same. But the information about what unfair charges look like on Statements is sparse. Most threads tell how to claim unfair charges, but I can only get to that stage once I know what unfair charges appear as on a Bank Statement. Also, the statements have many different kinds of fees and charges everywhere, so it is hard to tell which of these were unfair after all :(

For BC a/c's, you can reclaim :-

Late pay't charge

Over credit limit charge

Returned payment charge (if your cheque or DD pay't bounces)

On bank a/c's, if you are in Financial Difficulty, you can try to reclaim :-

Paid referral fee

Unpaid item fee

Unauthorised overdraft fee

You could also challenge Barclays Reserve Usage fees if you're in FD's but the outcome of reclaiming any of these is far less certain than reclaiming CCard chgs from BC.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Fantastic. I exactly needed the advice you just gave. Thanks. I will finish my current PPI claims with Barclays and then later take this up. Will read up on the forums about the procedure and keep you posted if new development takes place in this matter.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Autumn,

If the Overdraft Fees are imposed as a penalty each time you go into overdraft, I would reclaim them.

If the Overdraft Fees are for the granting of an overdraft, or the renewing of one, on an annual basis, I would not include these in a reclaim.

Yes those were penalties. But, you might want to take a look at the attached document that is actually the breakup of my recent ODI claim refund. Does that mean I have already been reimbursed?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49524[/ATTACH]

Are you referring to item C on the PPI pdf. ?

Hi Autumn,

I would try to reclaim whatever you can. There is really no certainty that you'll get anything back in this process. However, unless you try to reclaim, you'll get nothing back.

If the bank wants to assert that any of their charges have already been refunded, let them prove this.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, just a quick question regarding the charges in the first post, some them go beyond the "6 years limit" before you can claim back charges. Am I correct in assuming there is a 6 year time limit before you can claim back charges. I have some from 2007/8.

Hi Gigs,

Normally, you could only reclaim charges incurred in the last 6 years from when you claim them. Charges older than 6 years would be regarded as Statute Barred.

However, experience with BC has shown that they will repay charges older than 6 years if you use s.32(1)© of the Limitation Act 1980, on the basis that you allowed the charges to be taken by mistake.

To get such charges back, you would have to take court action against Barclays Bank PLC t/a Barclaycard and we suggest you claim compound restitutionary interest at 24.9%. The bank will defend the claim and you must be prepared to take the case to a final hearing. Barclays normally settle before the final hearing but you can't rely on this necessarily.

If you have any further comments on this, start your own thread in the BC forum.

• dx100uk changed the title to These are a few examples of entries in my Barclaycard statements ...Which one of these could be 'unfair'?