tv licensing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently cancelled my tv license as I now only watch programmes via the iplayer/on demand options,

I very carefully read up on all of it and have a totally new viewing time schedule of my own,

I find it more convenient in that I can watch pretty much when I want and don't have to watch when the live broadcast is on

or have to remember to record it.

So that was the easy bit,

I then went online to tv licensing and cancelled the license and stated why on their contact us form.

They emailed saying they had received my "query" and confirmed the cancellation.

The next day I get a phone call from tv licensing telling me I had cancelled my d/d and wanted to know why?,

I explained all of the above,

to which they guy said

"so you don't watch any television at that property?"...

..I then said please don't make me repeat it all,

yes I watch tv but I don't watch live broadcasts,

I have written all of this to you and had it confirmed I don't need a license.

He sounded so fed up, his brisk question hadn't fazed me.

Then I hear I still may get a home visit from one of their guys who chase up tv license non payers?...

.what is he going to do then?

check my equipment?

I have nothing to hide but this really pee's me off now.

surely my tv service provider can confirm what I am watching if its all via internet on iplayer etc.

I think theyre not liking that some of us can actually do without watching when they tell us to and paying for the privelage.

If they phone, just put the phone down. As long as you arent watching live tv then they can bog off.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Ruby .

Now you see why it is pointless communicating with TVL. They don`t believe you .... you have done everything [ although you`re not legally required to do so] to inform them of your status but still they want to play games.

1. Stop communicating with them .

2. If someone calls to find out why you are no longer a TVL payer, don`t bother explaining yourself. Don`t confirm who you are & shut the door.

3. Never ever let them in to your home. This is an absolute golden rule. Never ever sign anything " just to say we called / or for our records" because they will falsify & you will be hanging yourself., this form is a 178 & is a legal document they use to trick people with.

4. Bin the letters they will send you & please don`t worry about scary red print & threats of " investigation & court" .

5. Enjoy your new found freedom & put the money saved to a far better use.

Lastly........... well done on going legally licence free.

Dont let them in to your house if theyre stupid enough to call either. If you have a TV purely for playing dvd's, they will still claim you are watching live tv. Remember, these muppets work for capita and sometimes are commission based. They cannot enter your home without your permission. The best thing to do is just ignore them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Unhelpful post, and reply, unapproved.

Please keep comments civil and relevant to OP's topic.

Thanks

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

If TVL visit close the door on them and say nothing, they stitch people up on the doorstep, they even gain convictions on people who don't even own a TV

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Agree with everything said here.....as far as I am concerned I am done with them. I don't watch live broadcasts and if they don't believe then let them prove it, you cant prove whats NOT happening. I wont be dealing with TVL at all now. Thanks all.

Hi, I recently cancelled my tv license as I now only watch programmes via the iplayer/on demand options, I very carefully read up on all of it and have a totally new viewing time schedule of my own, I find it more convenient in that I can watch pretty much when I want and don't have to watch when the live broadcast is on or have to remember to record it. So that was the easy bit, I then went online to tv licensing and cancelled the license and stated why on their contact us form. They emailed saying they had received my "query" and confirmed the cancellation.

The next day I get a phone call from tv licensing telling me I had cancelled my d/d and wanted to know why?, I explained all of the above, to which they guy said "so you don't watch any television at that property?".....I then said please don't make me repeat it all, yes I watch tv but I don't watch live broadcasts, I have written all of this to you and had it confirmed I don't need a license. He sounded so fed up, his brisk question hadn't fazed me. Then I hear I still may get a home visit from one of their guys who chase up tv license non payers?....what is he going to do then? check my equipment? I have nothing to hide but this really pee's me off now. surely my tv service provider can confirm what I am watching if its all via internet on iplayer etc.

I think theyre not liking that some of us can actually do without watching when they tell us to and paying for the privelage.

Not sure what is meant by TV Service Provider, did you mean ISP perhaps ?, whilst it maybe technically possible to gather this data, all it would confirm is that you did on occassion watch catch up programs, it wouldnt actually confirm that you didnt watch live TV.Best is to take advice given here, don't get into arguments with them , as you have found out its pointless.

TV Service Provider Freeview, Sky, BT Vision, Virgin etc imho

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Aha...Freeview isnt a provider its just a box, but the others are..but they dont provide their data to BBC/Capita and I doubt they ever would, it would be an easy way to try and find 'offenders' but would be fraught with problems I suspect

well I will take the advice given here for sure.

had a letter from them today saying they wont write again for nearly 2yrs unless they think my situation has changed,

they might visit my home to check no license is needed as its their legal duty

and the law says a license is needed if your using t computer etc etc to watch tv as its being shown on t,

that the visit is routine and only takes a few minutes, and the do it because 1 in 5 who say they don't need one, actually do need one.

so despite my declaring I don't and why, they still may visit. I am baffled as to what this visit involves?

I wont let them in,

in fact I don't answer the door unless I am expecting a visitor,

we get a fair amount of door stop sellers who despite seeing the notice on door that I don't buy at door,

still knock anyhow so I generally ignore it unless I know who it is etc.

well I will take the advice given here for sure.

had a letter from them today saying they wont write again for nearly 2yrs unless they think my situation has changed,

they might visit my home to check no license is needed as its their legal duty

and the law says a license is needed if your using t computer etc etc to watch tv as its being shown on t,

that the visit is routine and only takes a few minutes, and the do it because 1 in 5 who say they don't need one, actually do need one.

so despite my declaring I don't and why, they still may visit. I am baffled as to what this visit involves?

I wont let them in,

in fact I don't answer the door unless I am expecting a visitor,

we get a fair amount of door stop sellers who despite seeing the notice on door that I don't buy at door,

still knock anyhow so I generally ignore it unless I know who it is etc.

Only their legal duty if youre dumb enough to let them in. You ONLY need a licence to watch live tv. Just because you have a computer or a tv doesnt mean you need a licence. Thats just tv licence's version of the rules.

Hi Ruby,

Even if you happen to open the door to a TVL, just refuse them entry, tell them to leave, then close the door.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...
they might visit my home to check no license is needed as its their legal duty [...] that the visit is routine and only takes a few minutes, and the do it because 1 in 5 who say they don't need one, actually do need one.

Reading up on the experiences of a few others, if they gain access, they may want to turn the TV on and flick through the channels. Should they find a vaguest hint of a broadcast being received even without an aerial plugged in, they try to claim that you are guilty.

I've unplugged my aerial, set the TV to auto-tune and then deleted any channel info stored - Should an "inspector" call, all they will find is a blank screen if they try to find a broadcast channel.

I'd suggest digging out the manual for your TV and also detune & delete any channel info.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Sadly thats not how it works. If you have a tv in your property that is capable of recieving a signal, and you have an ariel capable of receiving broadcasts, then thats all they need to form reasonable suspicion and then caution you. Thats why we always advise not to deal with the capita 'agents' and either ignore them or tell them to get lost.

Thankyou Mr. P I will try to do that, but am not sure I have the manual as the tv was given to me and I don't recall a manual coming with it, I just found my way round it lol I don't have the main aerial plugged in and when I switch the tv on I get a black screen until I press for the ondemand option I cant see anything, a message does appear on the black screen (if I don't press the option quick enough lol) which says that either no aerial is connected or the signal is very weak, the background behind the message is a black screen. But I will try and do what you suggest.

I will not allow them in my home. A friend of mine was threatened by a tv license checker who said if she didn't let him in he would return with the police, when he did the officer who came with him wasn't able to help him as my friend refused entry without a warrant, they left and never returned, she heard no more. I also understand that any warrant to enter a property has to have the names of those being given permission to enter it, written on the warrant, which are likely to be names of police and not the license checker. I would have thought they would need evidence of use prior to gaining a warrant, but I don't know the law on that one.

I wouldn't trust them at all in any way. I wont be opening the door.

Thankyou renegadeimp.....I wont be letting anyone in and I don't have an aerial connected inside the flat...I cant take down the outside aerial as its not mine.

I only watch the ondemand channels....like 4oD and bbciplayer, and usually its the day after the live broadcast. so basically stuff that's on tonight I will catchup with it tomorrow on the catchup tv ondemand channels, if its not offered on there I don't bother watching. my main aerial lead/plug has been taken out and got rid of. I only watch whats available on the iplayers ondemand channels that are offered by my tv/internet provider.