!0 year Warranty and 6 year legal limit

Chutch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a composite door fitted in 2006 and was given a 10 year Warranty. The Door is now cracked and whilst the supplier claims to have put a protective seal over the cracks, the cracks remain and look ugly so in my view the door is no longer fit for purpose. I have been told that because the door was installed in 2006 there is a 6 year legal limit on getting the supplier to replace the offending door panel so I cannot make a claim on the supplier in the Small Claims Court. Is this true? If so what is the point of a 10 year Warranty. The Insurance company concerned will not help because the supplier is still operating

When did the door crack? Regardless of the term of the warranty, the 6 year period would only run from the date that you could have sued them so unless the issue arose more than 6 yrs ago and you've not got around to doing anything then their argument falls away without you having to consider the warranty.

The crack became visible some 8 months ago. I was informed by someone at CAB that because I had the door installed in January 2006 and that as this was more than 6 years ago that there was no obligation on the supplying company to replace/satisfactorily repair the door even though they had issued a 10 year Warranty in 2006.

Hence my query about the value of a 10 year Warranty if a 6 year rule applies.

You are not statute barred then and can use the warranty to say they should repair the fault.

This is true. You have lost your right to sue for breaching any legislation based obligations but not those obligations contained within the separate warranty.