JSA ending but I am out of work - what can I do?

dan08
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3746 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I have had a letter from the DWP telling me that my JSA is ending in 3 weeks because my entitlement has run out. I have not got a job and I don't know what to do now. They say I may still get housing benefit and reduced council tax but I will have no income to pay my share of the council tax. I have a one bedroom council flat.

They say I can appeal. I am really trying to get a job, but so far no luck. Do I move to another type of benefit now?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just to add, they say they cannot pay because entitlement based on Class 1 NI contributions has run out.

As other have posted,you need to put in a claim for Income related JSA

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_benefits_in_work_or_looking_for_work_ew/benefits_for_people_looking_for_work.htm

ASAP ....

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

You may get income-based Jobseeker's Allowance if you do not have enough national insurance contributions to get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance. You can also get it on top of contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance because you have a partner, or because of other personal circumstances -for example, if you are disabled or caring for a disabled person or have housing costs. Whether you can get income-based Jobseeker's Allowance depends on the amount of your income and capital. The rules about income and capital are the same as for Income Support.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Just to add, they say they cannot pay because entitlement based on Class 1 NI contributions has run out
I just love the way the JCP/DWP word these letters 'we cannot pay because.....' implying that any entitlement to anything will disappear in three weeks time.

What they should write is 'we cannot pay w because of x, but you could claim y, if you satisfy the conditionality of z'. But that would be giving claimants access to information without having to torture it out of them.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Thanks so much for your advice. I am single, not a parent and not disabled. I have not been working because I was at college (13 hrs per week) and now have a level 2 qualification. I got JSA and housing while I was on this course because it was only 13 hrs per week. I then went to do the level 3 but had to leave because I couldn't get any support to stay at college. Although that course was also only 13 hrs per week the college say it is full time and so I could not get JSA or housing benefit. I had to leave college and try for a job.

Since then the housing are looking for all the rent backdated to when I started the level 2 course and the DWP are looking for repayment of all the JSA I already had because the college states in its prospectus that the level 2 course of 13 hours per week is full time. Then I had the council tax looking for that too. But if I was considered a full time student then I shouldn't have any council tax - I hope I got through to them on this one!

I owe 1000s of pounds, and I can't pay it.

Then this letter was the final straw. I am thinking I am going to be evicted and have no home as well as no job.

I'll get the new income based claim in asap - thanks again.