My estate agent doesn't want to send me an intemised invoice forthe repairs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am currently renting a flat. A few weeks ago, I was mugged and the attackers stole the keys of the flat (among other things). I called the estate agent who manages the property to ask if I could change the locks. He sent someone to do it: the handyman changed both locks on the door and bought two new sets of keys (one for me, the other one for the estate agent).

The estate agent then sent me an invoice simply stating "£90". I found it a bit expensive, especially because the handyman is a full-time employee of the landlord and carries out all the repairs for him in all his properties. I asked for an itemised invoice with the details of the prices of the new locks&keys and the labour costs.

He told me that he couldn't give me an itemised invoice because the work was carried out by the landlord's handyman.

My questions are:

- should I be the one who pays for this? Isn't the landlord supposed to have a kind of insurance that can cover these costs?

- if I am supposed to pay for the locks, can I still refuse to pay because I wasn't sent an itemised invoice? The only thing that appears on the one I received is: change of locks - £90. Period. I suspect that the estate agent charged me more than the real costs to make a profit out of it. Am I just being paranoid?!

Thank you very much for your help, I wish you all a nice evening.

£90 for 2 locks, not bad. A locksmith would have charged that for one. LLs tend only to have buildings Ins which does not cover key replacement as keys are resp of T. If you have personal contents Ins that may include lost keys & lock replacement.

The LL did you a favour by changing locks quickly, most keys are taken for later burglary at property.

Since LL undertook repairs, you are not entitled to an itemised invoice, if you had called/paid a locksmith yourself different matter.

If keys were taken during a mugging, does Victim Support fund offer no assistance?

Sounds grim. Hope you are recovering.

I was recently quoted around £120 for front and back door locks on a PVC door. £30 callout and £25-35 for each lock.

Added onto that, I had to factor in getting extra keys cut and checked, which can be quite time consuming.

My landlord insurance does not cover replacement locks in this circumstance, and anyway, the excess is £100.

This is a reasonable cost. Have you Home insurance of your own? If so and you are claiming for other items stolen then add the replacement locks to your claim - after all it is something you have been put to the cost of replacing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi JMaureen,

The cost will depend very much on the 2 locks that were changed.

If you have a wooden door, there's likely to be a Yale-type nightlatch. In this case, only the outside key cylinder needs changing and the inside lock body can be re-used..

Assuming there is also a half-decent 5 lever deadlock, that would be replaced entirely.

If you called me out to do this in normal hours, the cost would be between just under £100.

If you called me in the evening or weekend, the cost would be £100 to £120.

I don't think you've been stitched up at all but I can see why you may feel unhappy because you didn't know what was involved. Even if a "handyman" did the job, the cost would still be £80 to £100 because of the costs of the hardware used.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)