Anlli

Any real help for young people out of work?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2099 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I don't know if I am in the right forum here but here goes:

Does anyone know of any organisations for young job seekers that actually offer practical help (not just CV and applications) to any young person (not just disadvantaged young people) in getting work? I have been a little dismayed that while a young person I foster has had all sorts of practical help from various organisations from helping her with her CV to actually taking her to agencies to help her look for work, my son, because he has not been in care, is not disabled, does not have mental health problems and has not been in trouble with the police gets no help whatsoever! He appears to be disadvantaged by a good education, and a degree, a smart brain and an ambition to do a masters degree and he desperately wants a job so he can pay for it.

He has been unemployed for 18 months and has been seeing Ingeus for around a year but they do absolutely nothing to help him. The only help they offer is CV writing and job applications which he does not really need. They have told him there is not much they can do for him. He suffers from an extreme lack of confidence and social awkwardness and this is what he needs help with. They have never given him any work experience or interview practice. He was sent once about a year ago to go and interview for some work experience and it was in the bad weather, he made it through the ice and snow only to be told it was cancelled when he got there and he didn't hear any more about it.

He is 24 so should still just count as a young person but not for long!

I don't know if I am in the right forum here but here goes:

Does anyone know of any organisations for young job seekers that actually offer practical help (not just CV and applications) to any young person (not just disadvantaged young people) in getting work? I have been a little dismayed that while a young person I foster has had all sorts of practical help from various organisations from helping her with her CV to actually taking her to agencies to help her look for work, my son, because he has not been in care, is not disabled, does not have mental health problems and has not been in trouble with the police gets no help whatsoever! He appears to be disadvantaged by a good education, and a degree, a smart brain and an ambition to do a masters degree and he desperately wants a job so he can pay for it.

He has been unemployed for 18 months and has been seeing Ingeus for around a year but they do absolutely nothing to help him. The only help they offer is CV writing and job applications which he does not really need. They have told him there is not much they can do for him. He suffers from an extreme lack of confidence and social awkwardness and this is what he needs help with. They have never given him any work experience or interview practice. He was sent once about a year ago to go and interview for some work experience and it was in the bad weather, he made it through the ice and snow only to be told it was cancelled when he got there and he didn't hear any more about it.

He is 24 so should still just count as a young person but not for long!

I only know too well what you are going through, my young lad has just turned 20 years old this month and had not long sign on for job seekers, he has been studying AAT Accounting and has passed Level 2 & 3 in Accounting, so far he's had 3 appointment with the job centre already the adviser treated him like crap the poor boy came home and didn't know what hit him, I am taking matters in my own hands and do everything to get him off job seekers allowance, I am helping him looking for a job, I've even wrote his cv for him and send his cv to organisations and recruitment agencies, today already he's had three responses, we've look through those Universal Jobsearch there isn't anything that match to his job description.

Just together with your son do the best you can and keep trying you will get somewhere, if you know what your son want as a career. I directed my son to accounting since he started year 10 as myself I'm an Office Manager/Accountant by trade though I am off work sick through ill health at the moment but I am training him into accounting myself which I hope will help because I know from job centre he will not get anywhere.

If you need any advice please do not hesitate to ask for help I see what I can do to help him.

wishing your luck with his jobsearch.

Edited by Helen2264

Helen is probably right - the only help available for anyone not in a special group (and for a lot that are!) is whatever help you are able to give yourself.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Princes's Trust provide help and support for young people - Don't know what they have to offer as I'm too old to qualify.

I'd suggest contacting the university where he studied and see if they have a department offering support - My local Uni does, and I found their programmes to be of use.

You could also try contacting the local council and see if they have anything of value to offer.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

my daughter got all the promises and hype but no help at all just a lot of pressure and veiled threats of possible sanctions, seetect were a waste of time and wouldn't pay her fares although they should have, whole thing was a not funny farce. in the end she signed off jsa and did some cleaning work, in houses, she put leaflets through doors and charged less than anyone around doing the same, she struggles weekly to provide for her and her son, but she gets by, just. there is no help just bull**** which is the usual from the government.

I think Mr.P has given good advice.

my daughter got all the promises and hype but no help at all just a lot of pressure and veiled threats of possible sanctions, seetect were a waste of time and wouldn't pay her fares although they should have, whole thing was a not funny farce. in the end she signed off jsa and did some cleaning work, in houses, she put leaflets through doors and charged less than anyone around doing the same, she struggles weekly to provide for her and her son, but she gets by, just. there is no help just bull**** which is the usual from the government.

I think Mr.P has given good advice.

Your daughter sounds like a great person and mother you should both be proud to what she's managed to achieved, I can only guess it wasn't ant easy step to take to come off her jsa and just work for herself, job centre is just a waste of time they don't really care about finding work or whether people are working or not all they care about is stopping benefits altogether! I watched a video on youtube a whistle blower from dwp said that they didn't really care whether people working or not because they know there isn't any job out there the main thing is to get people off benefit, they sanction a young girl for going to an interview instead of signing on how ironic and stupid of dwp. He also said they sanctions people for next to nothing and they don't follow the rules when to sanction and by what purpose they just sanctions and hoping people don't apply back some people don't either.

My son wanted to stop his jsa but I put my foot down the boy has had a privileged life not by money but by having an easy life until now he's just found out how people can be nice one minute and turn against you the next, his adviser at the job centre was all smile at his last signing on until the one he went on monday he couldn't believe how she was different, he's been looking for jobs non stop and I've helped him too all it was because he didn't report the activities on the universal jobsearch website which of course she didn't even told him about, he took a list of all the jobs he'd applied but she was still very rude to him when he came home and told me, I went straight on the universal job search and report all activities showing 34 jobs he'd applied yesterday, I will keep an eye on him and make sure everyday he record his job search.

I'm also scrapping some money even if I have to eat just bread and water so he can have private training from a certified accountant on his premises who has guaranteed writing his cv and put him through his contact of other Accountancy firm for a job, I am keeping fingers crossed he'll found a job in two months time, the accountant seems genuine enough and have found jobs for other young people like my son, all I can do is pray things work that way. I will not rest until my boy get a permanent job away from the dwp.

Princes's Trust provide help and support for young people - Don't know what they have to offer as I'm too old to qualify.

I'd suggest contacting the university where he studied and see if they have a department offering support - My local Uni does, and I found their programmes to be of use.

You could also try contacting the local council and see if they have anything of value to offer.

My local council was absolutely useless there isn't anything out there no more the govt has cut £200 millions for supporting young people into further education or courses, now all you see are those private so call learning links like A4e, Ingeus and we all know about them. I am afraid people now have to do their own thing and look for job themselves going through the dwp or local authority is not an option.

Thanks for your comments, I think the Prince's Trust also focuses mainly on disadvantaged young people. My foster daughter did it and all the young people on it were care leavers, had mental health problems or had been in trouble with the law. My son has applied for 100s of jobs and gets nowhere. He has now applied to do some voluntary work, hoping to expand his experience a little and make him more employable. The trouble is the longer they are on JSA the harder it is to get someone to employ them. He was better off when he was just dealing with the job centre, they did at least try to get him some work experience, even though it didn't come off, since he has been with Ingeus he has had nothing.