style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ya Coggers

I'm looking for some advice regarding a gas bill.

To my amazement there is a 400% increase over a 6 months period.

I have tried to get B.G. to cooperate with me but to be honest,

this will only so far with me if they themselves don't return the compliments including return of phone calls.

I then notice the later part of last year that they increase the D/D to compensate the difference.

There was 2 payments taken from my bank account without at any time of notice, which came to a total of over £300.

Lucky I had much funds in the acc. at the time, if not I would had occurred charges for 1st time ever.

Now since b4 Xmas this has seriously effected my credit score which is effecting my business.

When it comes to finance I am very punctual but I fully refuse to pay a bill I don't recognize especially to those that don't show any courtesy.

So if there is anyone with similar knowledge as this I would be immensely grateful for advice.

they should not be taking a dd without first writing to you

about the different amount being taken.

invoke the dd guarantee. get them back

do all the reading s match correctly?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx100uk

Thank you for you quick reply.

I had type out a lengthy message but I've had a couple of distractions since then clicked send out the system had log me out & now it's in hyper space.

I will try to repeat the message as soon as I can.

Kind regards

Hi again.

What I have decided to do today is send little snippets of info instead of big chucks because yesterday was a disaster not realizing that the site automatically log off.

Right the DD was dealt with on day when noticed funds had been taken out.

And yes you was right.

It wasn't professional of them to do this which I've noted.

In fact, this whole affair has been shabby at best as you will see later.

I did try to reverse the DD but my bank returned my call later to inform me that it couldn't be down their end, it will have to be down at BG.

I ask for this at BG but was refused because the outstanding amount was too much, a figure I don't accept, up 400% on previous yr.

There has been no return of calls or cooperation. They have also said they will conduct a full investigation but to date I'm still waiting.

The meter reading may give me a little problem because I had taken a reading late last year (I can explain more on this if request) but for the life of me I can't locate it.

I will be taken a reading tomorrow as I have my day in court Friday.

I'm Hoping to locate the earlier reading.

There has also been readings earlier this yr & I expect last yr by BG.

I was taken ill late last yr & lasted for 2 months, until the new yr.

It included me having a temp. of 104.

I had caught that bug that's gone around.

As you can imagine, my life got quite un-organized & fell behind on work.

I have made several notes on issues I be pressing on against BG but I'm not stupid.

I expect this to be drawn out.

We will just have see how this starts so I can get a feel of where this will go & see how in the face the corruption is.

There is much more I can comment on but I wait for a reply first & try to keep some order.

Kind regards

type your reply in say notepad

then copy and paste

you can take all the time you like then!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

the dd guarantee is not down to the retailer!!#

if whomever you have a dd with does not notify you of its level

and when its being taken out EVERYTIME [ unless its a fixed regular sum]

they have broken the DD guarantee

and the bank must refund it!

no ifs or buts for the bank about it.

dx

[i

and they

Hi dx100uk

Yes you are correct & I normally do use word but a couple off unexpected distraction happened & rest is history.

Anyway, thanks for your reply again it's much appreciated.

This DD I don't have a issue with because this was dealt with the moment I was aware of it. This has been taken care off.

I have a massive problem with the total amount, an increase of 400% from previous year/years.

secondly I'm due in court tomorrow morning & need to know what I'm going to need as I don't make a habit ever being in court & would rather start on the right foot if you get what I mean?

I also understand that when in count you have to swear on the bible so this will be interesting. I don't follow no religion. They're bad for health as they are always connected to wars & I'm a civilised & modern person.

And so I don't know what preparation has to be done!

Kind regards again

Tam

I also know what there main aim is! It's to fit a $new meter in. They say card now but there main goal is a smart meter. I always pay my way in life & never ever miss any payments to anything so I don't know why I should be discredited in anyway.

we don't operate like that

what are your issue

and what do you want help with

why are you in court with them?

once we have the story

your thread can be retitled

then it will attract those that can help/.

dx

and they

Hi again.

I though I'd already explained this previously but I will explain again. I now also have more issues from Friday. My issues are the amount that they say I've used. The credit issues & now the way this was dealt with at court. Now you would have to ask me what is it exactly it is you would need to know?

Kind regards

Tam

sorry actionman, but I really dont understand what help you require..

Is my understanding of the situation correct as below.

You have a problem with British Gas taking monies by way of a Direct Debit that wasnt the sum you agreed to?

Any company has to give you advanced warning of any variation to the Direct Debit. Did they advise they were going to take such huge sums from your account.

You need to invoke the DD guarantee with your bank - I have posted a link below for you.

http://www.directdebit.co.uk/DIRECTDEBITEXPLAINED/Pages/DirectDebitGuarantee.aspx

You say you were in court last Friday ? was it for this BG situation, if so, what happened.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi again Caggers

Sorry I haven't been on here for a week. I have been very busy on other work.

First I want to clarify that the DD's was returned to my bank acc. by my bank on the day I noticed this had happened back in October 2013 as previous explained.

To my understanding I was in Magistrates Court for full payment of outstanding balance or for them to fit a pre-payment/key meter. They was granted this by the Magistrates.

I've refuse to pay them the full amount because they haven't done an investigation, stated by them on how they have come to this amount, a increase of approx. 400% up from previous year. I also requested in October last year that the original DD be reinstated but they refused this.

I have since had some legal advise that I should first put this case forward to the Ombudsman to open & directions or seek legal advise at the C.A.B.

I am now starting to realise how 1 sided this is for us consumers as there's not many law firms that practise in litigation & the 1's that do just don't make it economic sensible for most & they (utility companies) would know this. I'm still in disarray on outcome at Magistrates.

I will say this though. Just like most, I'm guilty of something, complacency by accepting the general cost of living for many years without standing up for our rights, making complaints at the appropriate times but I've done a lot of research recently & we're most definitely getting a raw deal, not just on this but on many other essential expenses of living.

So b4 I go any further & as I feel I have a good case for investigation, should I contact the Ombudsman to open a case against them & if any, what else should I do?

Kind regards

Tam

• 3 weeks later...

They should not have been allowed to fit the prepayment meter until your query has been resolved. It makes it far more sdifficult to resolve your problem if the meter which ahs created the dispute is no longer in your home.

Have they actually fitted a prepayment meter yet?

You say your usage went up by c 400% in a year.

Did British Gas change your gas meter at any time during that year?

If the prepayment meter hasn;t been fitted, check the gas meter in your home. There should be a yellow sticker on it, detailing the final reading on the old meter when it was taken out, the initial reading on your current meter when it was fitted and the meter serial number for the old meter. Does the new meter serial number match up with the serial number displayed on your bill? If it doesn''t, does the serial number displayed on your bill match up to the old meter number (that should be written on the sticker)?

If they did, did they amend their computerised records to reflect the meter change. If this has happened then your bill will be incorrect.

In addition to which, if they did previously change your gas meter - they have probably billed you based upon you still having an old-style imperial gas meter (measured in ft3), when really you have a newer metric meter. The calculations suppliers use in order to calculate bills are far different for each type of meter. If the above has happened you will have been vastly overcharged (by around 2.8 times, I believe).

I can see what your query is, theactionman. Your bills are far too high. Hopefully we can now resolve it!