Motorcycle Insurance Claim - I've been told they can't help me. Can you?

fomass
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice about an incident that happened in a car park at work.

Basically, my scooter was parked as usual in a motorcycle bay. When I came out of work, I found that my scooter had been moved and there was a note on it to contact security, which I did.

What had happened was a large motorcycle parked next to mine had fallen over and knocked my scooter over, which subsequently fell into a car door. No-one was hurt and there were no witnesses to the actual event, though some people heard a crash and came and picked the bikes up etc. It was a windy day, so I suppose the wind could of knocked his motorcycle over, but I think that it must not have been secured properly as it is extremely hard to blow a motorbike over.

There is around £700 damage to my scooter, according to a quote I had done.

I actually know the people involved, and have all their details and they are insured. I called my insurance company (Highway, via Swinton brokers) who have told me that because I am third party fire and theft they cannot help me claim, and I should try claiming directly from the motorcycle owner's insurance. I don't really know how I deal with this sort of thing, so I have since tried calling some of these "no win no fee" third party no fault solicitors, but they don't seem interested either because there is no personal injury element.

What do I do?

Thanks for any advice,

Tom

The owner of the motorbike will have to claim from his own insurance.

You will have to claim directly from him.

Get photos of everything. Get two quotes for the repairs.

Write him a letter and detail everything that has happened and that you are looking to him for the cost of repairs. Include the copies of the two estimates and ask him to forward it all to his insurers and to confirm in writing that he has done this.

Ask him to let you know the name and insurance reference number of his insurance.