• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

£4071.50 won back from Alliance & Leicester

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Youngandfree

Yes that is correct.

I've been told by my IVA provider that any money i get back will automatically go to them and will be used to clear the part of the debt that i'm not paying back towards...............is this right or does anyone else on here know?

Just got a counterclaim from A&L claiming that they don't owe me all that i'm claiming as i owe them £2000 but that is part of my IVA so not sure where i stand legally. I'd be happy with them taking what i owe them and keeping the remaining £3000 but at the moment not too sure what to do???

Can anyone else possibly help on this one???

Clanger.

This thread is in the A&L Successes forum, so it may not get as much viewing as the plain, ordinary A&L forum. I only stumbled over your query here by accident!

I'd suggest, therefore, that you'll get more coverage if you start a New Thread for yourself on the A&L forum. As a result, you may get more feedback from others who may know more about IVAs and bankruptcy than I do.

If you word the thread the same as you did in the one you posted here on the 22nd of Feb, I think that will be enought to get the ball rolling. :cool:

p.s. You could also try starting a thread in the Debt Action Group forum, I expect they'll know a lot about this sort of thing on there!

Hi Clanger.

Don't even consider going Bankrupt, it'll be worse than you can even imagine at some point in the future. Face-up to the IVA and any additional money you get as a windfall, give to the Supervisor, so they can pay your debtors. I managed to pay my IVA off after 3 yrs. ended paying an extra 5k over the agreed amount, but I don't have any probs getting credit now. If you went bankrupt, it'll be with you a long time!

Ian

Hi Emma.

You need to provide A&L with the £10 data potection fee, and they'll send you the past 6 yrs of statements. They can't refuse to provide them. The template letters etc, are all on this site, for you to refer to and use. No point re-inventing the wheel?

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi robbie,

Fantastic news that you got your charges back from A & L, I wonder if you could help me? I have just got a letter back from A & L saying that their charges are fair, so they wont refund me £2036.50. I don't know what to do next. Should I send a letter or do I start court proceedings?

Thank you

Sam

Guest redredknight

Glad to hear you won - I am trying but I have lodged a claim and the letter I have back states that they have nothing to answer to and i should have known their charges when i opened the account - do i still carry on ???

:-)

Thank you to everyone on this forum I have just won £4071.50 back off the Alliance & Leicester edit.

It all happened so much faster than I thought it would. I started to look into this and first visit this site at the start of Sept 06. As the A&L hit me with £100 24hours to clear hence the charges!!! That was the final straw. I sent off with my £10 for my statements and toted up the total charges over 6 years. Sent in charges saying to me that the cash I put into the account to cover DD's took the 2 templated letters both refussing to give me my money back. So started my MCOL on the 6th Oct, it was acknowledged on the 10th Oct. On the 26th I checked the status of my claim and it said defence recieved and I started to panic. I didnt need to as when I got home I had a cheque for £4071.50 waiting for me. They defend liabilty however happy to give me my money rather than go to court. Anyone who is taking on Alliance & Leicester and wants advise just ask I am more than happy to help. I have already got most friends and family starting the process. Once again a massive thank you to everyone!:)

Hi Robbie Alliance and Leicester have refused to refund my charges totalling with interest £6900 without interest £5600 I hasve given them the opportunity to refund my charges net of the interest they still say no I dont think i can make a claim through the small claim system becuase the amount is over £5000 what do i do now can you or anyone help!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

wait for the cheque to arrive :p

A&L S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 6/10/06

Chq cashed 18/10

STATEMENTS arrived 27/11/06

Prelim letter sent 29/11/06 £461

Capital One X 2 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 12/10/06

Cheques cashed 28/11

Prelim sent 29/11 £276

hi this is my first post, i have just recived a letter back from alliance and leicester saying the charges were right and it is only credit cards that are wrong,so i have to start court proceedings and feel realy nervous about this,has any one got any advice thanks

Hi Sam,

You will get it back from a & l alongwith the charges, i was hesitant about spending the £120 but it is worth it if you get your charges back, that's the way i look at it, you have to be in it to win it so to speak and if you have to part with the £120 it will be worth it when a and l pay up. xx

Hi Robbie, well done on winning your claim against A&L.

I have just receievd an offer which is for all Unpaid Cheques, DD and SO's less £12 for each one!! They have not taken into account all the other charges as a result, like Monthly Overdrawn fees, Daily Overdrawn fees etc etc. My total claim was for £8460 and they have offered £3800, any advice on what i should do please?

By the way, the letter states that is NOT the policy of A&L to close accounts............however I have opened a parachute account with the nationwide just oin case.

Regards Phil

can you help.

I have just taken the bank to court and got £470 back.i thought that was the end of the matter but today 19 7 07 i

received a call from the alliance and leicester demanding i

pay them the money i won back to clear the outstanding overdraft..they had already closed the account before it went court.I only went overdrawn because of their charges.surely they cant try and get the money back i won???

please help

regards

lee moore

Hi

Alliance and Leicester have just settled our case and repaid both our Early Redemption charge and the administration fee. A & L said they would fight this in through the small claims court to which we applied but a week later sent us the full amount!

Thank you all for your help, especially the site organisers who work so hard.

Regards Lesm

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Would appreciate advice from anyone re taking on A&L. Put in a claim for over £3k they have come back with Final Settlement of just £500. Have now started claim through Omnudsman. Is it that they are now starting to not make large payments. What do you think my chances are of getting a settlement of over £2k.