To Move or Not To Move

inneed2011
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I live in Spain, I have done for the last 5 years.

I had several properties in the UK, all of which have been repossessed. The mortgages were covered but I have an outstanding approximately of 100k gbp on all the properties ( This is the total amount). I did want to declare myself bankrupt, but found out that it is only possible if I was back in the UK.

I have several CCJ´s estimated around 6 from council tax and other utilities debts.

Therefore, my dilemma, which I feel is not really a dilemma but my parents think it is the best course of action to move back to the UK.

If I come back then I have to declare myself homeless and move into a hostel, I think this is my only option. With my 3 children. If I am housed or when I am eventually and then I get a job, I will not automatically be able to go bankrupt, because this will be the decision of the court. Or is this not necessarily the case?

Also, if I am, then it is not a simple case of my debt is wiped off after 6 years. There will be a lot of restrictions, one of them maybe that when I do work I will have to pay a subset of my wages for the debt. Which as you can see by the size of the debt, will take several years and I am already approaching 40.

I see that I will not be able to apply for anything in the UK, everything is credit scored so if I do get my own place, it is highly unlikely that I will be able to get any gas, electricity, a bank account or other such means.

Is this me being dramatic or it may not be as drastic as that?

Hi

I believeMortgage shortfalls do not become SB until 12 years have passed . Any unsecured debts (loans, credit card, overdrafts) are SB after 6

Getting bank account will be hard but there are some out there that will allow you a basic bank account.

As for moving into a property, some utility companies may want an up front bond to cover in case of defaulting on payments. You would be unlikely to get a phone contract so I would be going with PAYG for now.

As for Bankruptcy, no idea but I would think others can assist on that

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Another issue to consider, unrelated to debt, is whether after being away for 5 years you will be entitled to any benefits or housing. I don't know if it could be a problem, but I would suggest that it's wise to find out before you arrive.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.