TUPE and equal pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3742 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My company has merged with another who get paid more generally ten we do. Word is they are not putting our salaries up in line with theirs. How does that affect Sex Discrimination Act where the different sexes must get equal pay if doing the same job?

Appreciate any replies and thank you.

is everyone tupeing of one gender and everyone at the receiving company the other?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It is outside of the scope of equal pay legislation unless and until you adopt the new employer's contracts - TUPE means that you transfer on your existing T&Cs, so the employer may lawfully not offer you a pay review provided that your existing contract does not entitle you to one, even if this means that the staff who were already employed by the organisation do receive one.

If however your 'old' contract states that you WILL receive an annual pay increase then the new employer would have to honour that. In the absence of a contractual entitlement the employer is not obliged to give you a rise at the same time as the other staff, and for as long as he is running two sets of employees on different pay scales, there is no obligation to give equal pay to both sexes.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

The Equality Act (dealing with the old Sex D Act and Equal Pay Act) stipulates that to succeed in an equal pay claim, the two individuals in comparison must be doing the same, or a similar job, with the only reason for the pay disparity being his or her gender. Therefore, as this is a TUPE case, with the reason for the difference in pay being due to different contractual conditions as a result, I don't think equal pay legislation applies to your situation.

is everyone tupeing of one gender and everyone at the receiving company the other?

Hi, just to answer your query, no everyone is not of the same gender, it is all mixed. I am in the old company and the new company employees general earn more than us for exactly the same job.

Technically yes, as TUPE seeks to protect existing rights. So, you could see a transferred workforce whose T&Cs never change. In practice however the 'new' employer will almost certainly need to harmonise terms between both workforces - whilst this cannot be forced and should be through negotiation, no doubt the prospect of a more equal pay structure might compensate for concessions in other areas.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!