Housing benefit and rent caps....

wiseajak
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok so i was thinking i dont if this is the correct place to post this but needed opinions and thoughts on this:

So the government bang on about saving the benefit bill and housing well its probably been thought of already but what if they introduced a rent cap where rents are set to be no more then £x amount depending on how many bedrooms it has vs its banding,

By this i mean a house in an area given a grade, so band 1 band 2 and band 3,

So a 2 bed house in a band 3 area can only be £x per week and no more

Band 1 -being low grade ( not so good area)

Band 2 -ok area

Band 3 highest band( sought after area)

So i mean would they not save money buy forcing landlords by creating a law that says you cannot charge no more then £100 a week for a Band 3 2 bed house? For example.

And vise versa. I hope that makes sense... Opinions and thoughts would be nice as i would even consider writing to David cameron about it. Not that it would achieve much but hey one could only try.

I had to work really hard to understand what you are saying.. but I think I have the gist.

Are you suggesting that for example.. Fulham has one rent value and Gravesend has another ?

IMHO, whilst Housing Benefit continues to be paid out, then landlords will set rents in excess of that. If Housing benefit had never been introduced, I think we would see rents a darn sight cheaper than they are now.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Inflated rents lead to inflated house prices lead to inflated rents, etc. The housing market in UK is totally toxic as prices are totally unrelated to value.

Charities, advice agencies and some Councils have attempted to lobby government to introduce rent caps for decades.

Landlords, banks, property owners/developers/builders campaign against.

You do realise that rent caps would have to apply to all properties, not just those where HB is payable.

Successive UK governments (of all colours) have rejected calls for rent caps for decades. Free market economy and all.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

wisejak, I get what you are saying but while I think the idea is nice, lenders would be far less likely to lend and pay out the buy to let mortgages if they didn't think their 'investments' would rise in value and profits weren't high enough. Bearing in mind that lenders already take on an element of risk, a significant amount of mortgage debt is written off but this is a small proportion of the current profits overall and can be currently swallowed.