Self employed or a business

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3746 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Morning.

I am having difficulties determining as to whether i need to be self employed or a business?

My situation:

A few months ago, i started working for a local company, i believe on a sub-contract basis as a service engineer. At the end of each month i invoice them for the gross amount of labour, and they pay the invoice value.

In addition, to this, i invoice them for mileage, for using my car, at 40p per mile and invoice that too, which they pay in full.

I also do other things as well; i repair coffee machines at home and sell them online.

(materials are involved within the invoice total)

I also build Camping Pods in my spare time, and sell them on line

(materials are involved within the invoice total)

I have not at this time registered with HMRC, it has only been two months, i needed to see how it went but now find myself very confused with what i need to be “signed up as”

I have been putting money aside to cover my tax liabilities whatever they may be. I have looked through the HMRC self employment section and to be honest, i am finding no definitive answer as to what to do.

I would appreciate any help or comments anyone may have

Thanks in advance

In my opinion you should go self employed. Go to your local office and register, they will sort it for you but don't delay it.

You can earn something like 10k before you pay any tax so if you are under that then there will be no tax liabilities yet.