Bedroom tax refund??

phil76
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3679 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have you had a break of more than 4 weeks in your HB at any point? If not contact write to your local authority asking them to review your claim based on this.

Some are automatically refunding it, some have put the onus on claimants.

It's not a tax

It was never originally called the spare room subsidy either, that's the government's catch phrase. Most ordinary people and the media, refer to it as the bedroom tax.

What it's called is irrelevant.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

If its to do with CT benefit, contact your council and tell them. Your LL hs nothing to do with it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It's a selective tax.

It's not though is it. LHA only pays for the bedrooms required, this was brought in to make it fairer for all on benefits, including those that couldn't get social housing!

Not saying I agree with it, but at least it makes it fairer for all, as some have no choice but to rent privately.

But this has already been discussed to death when it was brought in.

So forcibly evicting someone is 'fair' is it?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

this was brought in to make it fairer for all on benefits, including those that couldn't get social housing!

Is it "fairer" - I don't think so. It has pushed the rents up on some smaller privately rented properties and caused untold misery for those least able to pay. Then there are the privately owned properties where no "bedroom tax" is levied - I fall in to the latter group and have a spare room that could be used as a bedroom, yet incurs no additional charge on my council tax bill.

If anything, leaving it unoccupied returns a 25% saving on the CT.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

it has something to do with if you have claimed HB and CTB since 2006 (not sure if this is the correct year) on a continues basis, then they can't charge you for extra bedrooms, or something like that, sorry if that's not much help x

"Tenants who have occupied the same property continuously and taken housing benefit for it since 1996 should never have been included in the policy, Mr Barker discovered. When the Department for Work and Pensions drafted the controversial legislation it did not update housing benefit regulations dating from that year.

Those affected include some who are facing eviction because of the bedroom tax- or who have been forced to move to smaller properties.

Mr Barker, who is a consultant on housing policy, put up his findings on a blog called Rights Net and it instantly went viral. Now more than 10,000 people have viewed it - rather more than his usual blog audience of “two or three hundred”."

just found this on the net, sorry got the year wrong x

Edited by sparky514

You need to apply to your council as soon as possible Phil, and ask them to review your benefit from 1st April 2013 as you believe that you were entitled to full benefit .

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

it has something to do with if you have claimed HB and CTB since 2006 (not sure if this is the correct year) on a continues basis, then they can't charge you for extra bedrooms, or something like that, sorry if that's not much help x

Continuous in the same property from 1996. :)

Government released the urgent Housing Benefit bulletin U1/2014 on 8th Jan 2014.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-room-subsidy

This is the PDF:

Edited by stu007
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Is it "fairer" - I don't think so. It has pushed the rents up on some smaller privately rented properties and caused untold misery for those least able to pay. Then there are the privately owned properties where no "bedroom tax" is levied - I fall in to the latter group and have a spare room that could be used as a bedroom, yet incurs no additional charge on my council tax bill.

If anything, leaving it unoccupied returns a 25% saving on the CT.

Thats because it has nothing to do with council tax and only affects housing benefit payments. How has it pushed private rents up as the "bedroom tax" is for social housing not privated rented, you seem to be getting it mixed up with LHA that has been around for a few years.

Thats because it has nothing to do with council tax and only affects housing benefit payments. How has it pushed private rents up as the "bedroom tax" is for social housing not privated rented, you seem to be getting it mixed up with LHA that has been around for a few years.

It pushes up demand for private sector rents from people who are trying to find a way to move out of their under occupied social properties.

And one key difference between LHA and the bedroom tax is that LHA was not introduced retrospectively - it only applied to new claims or people who moved to a new property. No-one suddenly had the rug pulled out from under them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

It's a selective tax.

I would call it

"Gerrymandering"

Especially in some parts of London and South east :-x

Who remembers what Dame Shirley Porter got up to in the 80's when she was on Westminster council :x

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

"Tenants who have occupied the same property continuously and taken housing benefit for it since 1996 should never have been included in the policy, Mr Barker discovered. When the Department for Work and Pensions drafted the controversial legislation it did not update housing benefit regulations dating from that year.

Those affected include some who are facing eviction because of the bedroom tax- or who have been forced to move to smaller properties.

Mr Barker, who is a consultant on housing policy, put up his findings on a blog called Rights Net and it instantly went viral. Now more than 10,000 people have viewed it - rather more than his usual blog audience of “two or three hundred”."

just found this on the net, sorry got the year wrong x

Thank you so much!

You need to apply to your council as soon as possible Phil, and ask them to review your benefit from 1st April 2013 as you believe that you were entitled to full benefit .

Thank you so much!will contact them on monday

The pre 1996 exemption from Size Criteria for social sector tenants works as follows: -

If a social sector tenant has been: -

1. in the same property since 1 April 1996 (moves are only allowed where a tenant is decanted due to fire, flood or other natural disaster).
  2. in continuous receipt of HB since 1 April 1996 break (breaks of less than 4 weeks are ignored or breaks of less than 52 weeks for Welfare to Work Beneficiaries.

Succession to tenancy

Where a tenancy has been succeeded to, and the successor and successee between them meet both criteria continuously, the protection can be inherited.

Please note DWP are already planning to close this loophole. They are expected to close it before April 2014. Once closed, pre 1996 tenants will be subject to size criteria again.

If you believe you satisfy both criteria, I would suggest getting proof of tenancy start date from your landlord, and send this to HB department to ask for your HB to be reviewed from 1 April 2013 under the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Consequential Provisions) Regulations 2006

Edited by id6052

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

The pre 1996 exemption from Size Criteria for social sector tenants works as follows: -

If a social sector tenant has been: -

1. in the same property since 1 April 1996 (moves are only allowed where a tenant is decanted due to fire, flood or other natural disaster).
  2. in continuous receipt of HB since 1 April 1996 break (breaks of less than 4 weeks are ignored or breaks of less than 52 weeks for Welfare to Work Beneficiaries.

Succession to tenancy

Where a tenancy has been succeeded to, and the successor and successee between them meet both criteria continuously, the protection can be inherited.

Please note DWP are already planning to close this loophole. They are expected to close it before April 2014. Once closed, pre 1996 tenants will be subject to size criteria again.

If you believe you satisfy both criteria, I would suggest getting proof of tenancy start date from your landlord, and send this to HB department to ask for your HB to be reviewed rom 1 April 2013 under the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Consequential Provisions) Regulations 2006

Thank you