New CEO wants to change my probabtion period which finished on 9th Dec

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3084 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I would appreciate any advice here please.

I had a 3 month probationary period on my new role of 3 months. I started on the 9th Sep and it should have completed on the 9th Dec. My new boss started in Nov and I had no formal review or update meetings. Out of the blue I had a meeting called, and without realising it would be on the agenda he said he wanted to extend my probation. He also said he wanted to change my contract terms slightly, but the main issue I am asking for advice on is the probation as it’s the difference between having 1 week and 1 month notice if they do get rid of me.

My question is can they extend probation this long past my probation period or do I default to standard contract terms?

Thank you!

D

Edited by D1ngle

Have you actually asked your boss why he feels it necessary to extend your probation? Is he dissatisfied with your work of has he simply not had enough time to get to know you? How long an extension are we talking about?

A probationary period has no special status other than to open the door to additional contractual benefits, so apart from the Notice entitlement I wouldn't get too hung up on it - might be an idea to broach the question with your boss though at an early stage as to whether he has concerns over you, and if not then express your concern over the probation extension and the impact on notice entitlement.

Exactly what is stated in your job offer/contract? Does it say that your probation is complete after three months service, or does it say something along the lines of 'subject to a review'?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I believe the maximum time a probationary period can be extended is by 3months to no more than 6months in total. A crap firm I worked for tried it with me and I was informed by the HR that what they were trying to do was illegal.

I believe the maximum time a probationary period can be extended is by 3months to no more than 6months in total. A crap firm I worked for tried it with me and I was informed by the HR that what they were trying to do was illegal.

That's not true, there's no legal maximum time limit for a probationary period. Theoretically you're on probation for the first two years!