Item stolen from car - Airport Car Park

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3739 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, not really sure where the best place to put this is, or if it's even something the kind experienced Caggers can help me with.

Last week I parked my car at an airport using their on site Valet service - basically means I pull up at the terminal and they go and park my car for me nearby.

I returned late at night a few days later, but by the time I got home I noticed my sunglasses were missing from the driver side door pocket. The next morning I did a more thorough search of the car and found nothing.

I called the reception desk who confirmed they had nothing in their lost property and should contact head office and provided me with a number. I've called that number, and another I found on their website maybe a dozen+ times but never get an answer.

I've penned a letter to them (below) but wonder if I should add any other wordings / take other actions in the mean time?

Dear sir / Madam,

On {day 1}, at approx. 16:30, I left my vehicle (reg xxx) and key in the care of your company on the understanding that it would be secure and looked after.

On {day 3}, at approx. 21:45 I returned and collected my vehicle from you. All seemed to be ok, but shortly before arriving home I noticed my sunglasses had been removed from the Driver-Side door pocket.

The following morning, I searched the rest of the vehicle to ensure they hadn't been moved, but they were no longer in the car. I called the Valet Reception desk who were unable to locate them in lost property and provided me with an alternative number to call (xxx). I’ve been trying to contact you on this, and other numbers, without any success and so I am instead writing to you.

The sunglasses were Polarized Ray Bans, and were in their original case. There is no chance that the sunglasses fell out entering / exiting the vehicle accidentally, as it’s a deep pocket, and the case keeps them ‘wedged’ in place, preventing them from moving around.

The case and glasses would have looked very similar to these…

{images of case and glasses}

I’m sure you can understand that whilst I dislike jumping to conclusions, I’m struggling to identify a cause for them not being in my car other than that they were taken without permission by a member of Empark staff.

I reiterate: At no time was permission given or implied that any item may be removed from my vehicle.

I hope you are in a position to investigate this loss. Please acknowledge that should you be able to resolve the matter, will have to claim against my insurance which will necessitate me reporting the matter to the police.

I look forward to your response

Yours

{me}

Any thoughts?

thank you

I would keep it short and sweet,

Dear Sir/madam,

On dd/mm/yyyy my vehicle VRN xxxxxxxx was parked at xxxxxxxx by your valet parking services.

On return to my vehicle at (enter time) on dd/mm/yyyy an item of my property had been removed from my vehicle, these were a pair of sunglasses (enter type/make).

Before I report the theft to the Police I would ask that your staff look around for them and return the item, if found, at the earliest opportunity.

Regards.

Take a look on-line and see if this outfit has a rep for doing the same thing to others, I would get a report in to the old bill, as you will need a ref number to claim off insurance, be it theirs or yours..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Also check their notice of Liability.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks both - I'll have a trim down of what I've written.

They do state in their t's & c's that they're not liable for loss from the vehicle. What does that 'mean' in real terms? I figure that doesn't give their staff carte blanche to steal from me, but that I couldn't sue the company for it?

Thats exactly what it means....It would be cheaper to buy another pair and in future remove all personal items of value before allowing their service again.

You could still pen the letter and express your dissatisfaction of service and imply that the persons who had access to your car,their employment needs to be reviewed.......see what response you get.

Just my opinion.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

You're most likely right - but I'll see where writing to them gets me.

It was a business trip I was going on, so fingers crossed my companies insurance might just cover it.

Or even your own household contents...mine does.

Or even your own household contents...mine does.

Yes, my contents will cover it, but chances are the excess will pretty much wipe out most any claim :(

ho-hum, lesson learnt I guess!

I kinda disagree andy,

they also state (car parks) that they are not responsible for loss or damage to vehicles whilst on their property, however

I am pretty certain that this hasn't always borne true, after all, your paying for a service, items are lost/removed/stolen I would say that you would have recourse to approach them for compo?

I'm not sure if I read something about it, somewhere! But it seems to hit a dusty memory somewhere.....

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

As usual, the T&C's mean very little when it comes to this, the sunglasses arent lost, they were stolen. Your problem is proving they were there in the first place and then they have no answer. I would try the letter but be forceful about the location of the glasses and their disappearance and ask them what they are going to do about them as they were in the care of the company at the time and unless they can show that someone was authorised to remove them they should still be in the care of the company.

They should know you parked yur car so they will know where to start looking. If they dont then they deserve to pay for everything that goes missing due to their staff.

I kinda disagree andy,

they also state (car parks) that they are not responsible for loss or damage to vehicles whilst on their property, however

I am pretty certain that this hasn't always borne true, after all, your paying for a service, items are lost/removed/stolen I would say that you would have recourse to approach them for compo?

I'm not sure if I read something about it, somewhere! But it seems to hit a dusty memory somewhere.....

they can quote all the T&c's they like, but if you can prove negligence your on to a winner.

And how do you prove negligence ? How do you prove the sunglasses were in the car?

Keep it simple send the letter and be nice....they may just offer a gesture of goodwill.

Andy

And how do you prove negligence ? How do you prove the sunglasses were in the car?

Keep it simple send the letter and be nice....they may just offer a gesture of goodwill.

Andy

Exactly PROOF!

discaimers 0n boards advising of all indemnity mean sweet fa if negligence can be proved.

had the vehicle been broken into then this would not have been a problem, as they probably advertise their site as secure parking.

So how do you prove their negligence? And is it really worth it for a pair of sunglasses ?

Thanks for the replies - you're right - 'proving' they were in the car would be tricky - it's not like I said to the the guy I gave the keys to 'hey, my glasses are there, please look after them' - but I'll write to them and be factual about it. I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks for the replies - you're right - 'proving' they were in the car would be tricky - it's not like I said to the the guy I gave the keys to 'hey, my glasses are there, please look after them' - but I'll write to them and be factual about it. I'll let you know how I get on!

:thumb:

So how do you prove their negligence? And is it really worth it for a pair of sunglasses ?

you must read the thread in context,i never said he could! prove negligence, I was quoting the law,if you can great,but as the op said it was very hard to do so in his case.

this denial of responsibility that's usually sign posted in car parks etc comes under the same rule if any company is negligent in their operation then they can be held responsible for their actions.

good luck op.

Well, they replied very quickly, and got straight on the defensive denying any liability quoting (and enclosing) their terms & conditions.

I've reported it to the police - don't imagine they'll do much with it, but smile at the thought of old bill turning up there to ask them about it.

Oh well, you tried I suppose, although I would do everything I could to make other potential victims aware of the shady goings on in the company.

Write to the Airport and tell them just what you think of this firm, your is probably one of thousands of complaints against this lot.

As a matter of interest, theft by legal definition, is completely incapable of being considered a negligent action. Theft requires an intention whereas negligence requires the absence of the intent to bring about the consequences that resulted from it.

By way of an update,

I reported the matter to the police, and the case was transferred to the on-site airport-police. In their credit, the police have been very helpful. They've called me a few times updating me, and they visited both the site office to chat to the drivers listed as having driven the vehicle during the time they had it, and the company head office where they obtained copies of the letter I'd sent them etc.

They even reviewed the employment details of those listed as having driven the vehicles to ascertain any 'high risk' candidates, but didn't find enough to warrant any further investigation of them - but did say they'd wonder around the holding car park and speak to airport lost property for me, just in case they turn up - can't ask for much more than that from them really.

It's looking like my companies travel insurance will cover the loss for me, which is a big relief.

As for the company, still in two minds on how to proceed. It's a fairly big company that operates the on-site parking on behalf of the airport, so it's not some fly-by-night outfit setting out to rip people off, and the police did say this wasn't something they were seeing a lot of / any of - but of course that relies on others following it through to the police as I did.