• Tweets

• Many thanks for the replies and advice!   I what to send this email to the Starbucks CEO and the area manager. Your thoughts would be appreciated.   [email protected] [email protected]   Re: MET Parking PNC at your Starbucks Southgate site   Dear Ms Rayner, / Dear Heather Christie,   I have received a Notice to Keeper regarding a Parking Charge Notice of £100 for the driver parking in the Southgate Park Car Park, otherwise infamously known as the Stanstead Starbucks/McDonalds car park(s).   Issued by: MET Parking Services Ltd Parking Charge Notice Number: XXXXXXXXX Vehicle Registration Number: XXXX XXX Date of Contravention: XX.XX.XXXX Time: XX:XX - XX:XX   After a little research it apears that the driver is not alone in being caught in what is commonly described as a scam, and has featured in the national press and on the mainstream television.   It is a shame that the reputation of Starbucks is being tarnished by this, with your customers leaving the lowest possible reviews on Trustpilot and Trip Advisor at this location, and to be associated with what on the face of it appears to be a doubious and predatory car park management company.   In this instance, during the early hours of the morning the driver required a coffee and parked up outside Starbucks with the intention of purchasing one from yourselves. Unfortunately, you were closed so the driver walked to McDonalds next door and ordered a coffee, and for this I have received the Notice to Keeper.   It is claimed that the car park is two separate car parks (Starbucks/McDonalds). However, there is no barrier or road markings to identity a boundary, and the signage in the car park(s) and outside your property is ambiguous, as such the terms would most likely be deemed unfair and unenforcable under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   I understand that Starbucks-Euro Garages neither operate or benefit from the charges imposed by MET Parking. However, MET Parking is your client.   Additionally, I understand that the charge amount of £100 had previously been upheld in court due to a ‘legitimate interest in making sure that a car park was run as efficiently as possible to benefit other drivers as well as the local stores, keeping cars from overstaying’.   However, this is not applicable when the shop or store is closed (as was the case here), as there is no legitimate interest. Therefore, the amount demanded is a penalty and is punitive, again contravening the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   As the driver’s intention of the visit was genuine, I would be grateful if you could please instruct your client to cancel this Notice to Keeper/Parking Charge Notice.   Kind regards
    • I received the promised call back from the Saga man today who informed me that the undertakers have decreed it IS a modification and they will need to recalculate a quote individually for me. However it all sounds very arbitrary. The more I think about it, and with help from forum replies, the more I am sure that it is not a modification. If for example the original seatback had become damaged by a spillage or a tear, I would be entitled to replace it with the nearest available part. The problem is when it comes to a payout after an accident, there is no telling what an individual insurer will decide when he notices the change. I am still undecided which of the two best routes to go with, either don't mention the replacement at all, or fill in the quote form without mentioning, and when it comes to buying the insurance over the phone, mention it at the time.
    • Please post up their letter so we understand what they've asked. You need to cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • Hello,  I received the standard letter.  I don't understand No. 3: If this is in relation to a ticket irregularity, then if you were unable to produce a pass because you did not have it with you or if your pass was withdrawn because you were unable to produce a valid photocard to accompany it, please enclose a photocopy of the pass/photocard with your reply. Question: do i enclose my photocard? my partner's freedom pass was confiscated.
    • LFI is spot on. In fact you could sue UKPC for breach of GDPR, as UKPC knew full well right from the start that their case was hopeless.  They should never have asked for your details from the DVLA. Take some time to think if that is a road you want to go down.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Don't touch hastings with a barge pole...

BadMonkey73
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hastings Direct

They might be cheap, but that counts for nothing if you have to endure the way they treat you if anything goes wrong.

I added my housemate to the policy, which was a tortuous process. Then without permission, they kept her bank details and then took money out of her account, (not mine) just before Christmas last year, which left her financially knackered.

This would have been bad enough. They then claimed that they'd informed us this would happen in a letter, and despite us reading the letter to them over the phone, would not admit they were in the wrong.

They eventually gave us some nominal "hush money", but I didn't ask for or agree to this.

Then, they messed up my renewal again (penance for causing a fuss?), and because they didn't act on it when I asked them to,

they then tried to stiff me for an extra £500 quid "the next cheapest quote". Hmmm...

Forgot to mention this earlier, but when they didn't act on the renewal, rather than telling me they hadn't done anything, they informed DVLA who wanted to take legal action. Of course HD didn't think this was worth mentioning to me. This prompt from DVLA meant I found out that HD had done nothing and that's when they said they wouldn't honour the original quote, even though it was their fault. They did in the end, after more 0844 calls and misery.

On top of all this, they have now sent me a renewal quote for.... £500 more than last year. They are fully aware of the stress and financial injury they've put me and my housemate through, yet still try to fleece me at renewal.

I've asked for them to comment on the legality of holding non policy holders bank details and taking monies with no authority

- no response.

They informed me in a letter that they'd deal with this complaint

- no response.

They told me that someone senior (above a gentleman called John McGrath) would call me

- no response.

A customer services member of staff wrote to me, informing me that if (!) I was unhappy, on top of the complaint,

I could take this to the Financial Ombudsman, details enclosed

- no enclosure.

I've asked the Financial Ombudsman for advice.

They ask that I exhaust my complaint with HD first.

What do you do if they promise to call and deal with it?

Learn from my and others experience. Run a mile from this lot.

Edited by BadMonkey73

I think that in your case - as the situation seems so blatant, that you could consider an action under ICOB. This is a breach of their statutory duty to treat you fairly.

A simple county court action would be cheap and pretty risk free. Once the court papers were served on them - I expect that you would find that they would become very attentive indeed.

What are your losses here?

Losses- I'm selling the car as they've priced me out. I had to hire a car when they messed up the renewal. I've spent hours trying to get them to deal with this. I incurred bank charges at the time. God knows what my (ex-)housemate put up with.

I work for a consumer watchdog, just not in this sector. However, I do have contacts and I feel like HD are trying to call my bluff on this, as they clearly think they are bullet-proof in the media glare.

I appreciate the advice, but court action seems like a lot more stress that I really haven't got the time, expertise or money for. I might have to change my mind though, as I suspect HD play on this.

The FOS is the preferred route for any insurance company. It takes up to two years. The FIS is limpwristed and outcomes are very uncertain and awards very low.

Court action is short and sharp and very transparent.

If you work for a consumer body then the experience will be very useful to you.

Two years! Wow. I'll definitely look at the court route.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. I'm hoping the HD person will pop up on here, however unwise it would be for their reputation. Insurance don't enjoy a good reputation generally, but I stand by the title of this post.

Thanks.

I've moved you to the HD forum.

i'll alert the rep too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi BadMonkey73, Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience. I am very sorry to hear about this and I would like the opportunity to investigate this matter further for you. Can you please contact me directly and provide some details about your policy? The email address is [email protected] Many Thanks, Jamie

I will do Jamie, thanks, but first I'd really like you to publicly comment on the legality of:

• Hastings holding onto bank records for a non-poilcy holder
  • then taking funds from that account
  • paying "hush money" without agreement and then ignoring the ongoing complaint for months.

Incidentally, I'm on the phone to HD as I'm typing this. I asked why my renewal price of last year + £500 is described as "great". Guess what the answer was? I've just been told that "no managers have a phone number". I've been put on hold while they transfer me to Customer Services. This 0844 call is 27 mins so far and counting...

32 mins - I'm put through to the agent who I have had the misfortune to deal with previously.

I specifically said that I did not want to deal with this person as I find his attitude very hard to tolerate. He then informs me there is nobody more senior than him to speak to. I asked for his Managers name, which he told me, and when I asked what his job title was he spoke to like a child "Well, obviously he's a manager in Customer Relations". His attitude was that as I'd received some compensation he couldn't see why I had a problem. He wouldn't tell me why it took so long for him to pick up the phone. All he was interested in was why I was calling now, when he felt it had been dealt with.

Hi BadMonkey73, Thank you for your reply. I am very sorry to hear that you are having such difficulty communicating with our call center teams, once I receive your email with your policy details I will be able to look into this matter further for you. With regards to the points you have asked for public comment on, I would not be able to provide a detailed response without first investigating. Many Thanks, Jamie

Come on Jamie, you need to restore some faith, or I can't trust you to do anything before it goes to court action. As it is, I'm sat here waiting for Jamie Neal to ring me. It's been over an hour now...

Answer the legal question as a hypothetical then.

Is it illegal for you to keep bank records of someone who doesn't hold a policy or not?

Are you legally allowed to take money from a bank account who you have no reason to have account details for?

Why does paying non-agreed compensation mean you can drop a complaint?

Please don't try and hide from this.

Hi, I have now spoken to Jamie and arranged for him to complete a call back to you at 16:30 as this is his first available opportunity. With regards to the legal questions that you have posed, payments are often made in relation to policies but not by the policy holders themselves, the transaction details are stored by RBS worldpay and the cardholder is advised that these details could be used for future payments. As for paying compensation, this sounds like it is an individual issue that will need further investigation. When compensation is offered it does not effect the customers right to decide whether their complaint is resolved. Many Thanks, Jamie

Thanks Jamie. A shame I had to ask again. I do appreciate the effort though, even if I don't accept your answer.

Transaction details are one thing, but you don't need the actual account details. You must have gone back to RBS to get these but crucially you had no authority to take money without knowledge and consent of the cardholder. Again, do you think this is legal?

"...the cardholder is advised that these details could be used for future payments" - When I give you my details, look at the letter you sent and then listen to the next call where your colleague tells me how daft we are. She reads her own letter only to discover there is nothing informing us of this. A quick check might have meant a bit more politeness and a little less patronising.

"When compensation is offered it does not effect the customers right to decide whether their complaint is resolved" - This might be what you aspire to, but how do you explain my situation? The evidence is that HD want your money and then you can forget any customer service, including basic manners. The HD attitude I face is essentially "we've paid you off, now do one".

One final word for others to see before I contact you away from prying eyes - my renewal quote is £889. A search on Compare shows 57 possible providers, 31 of whom were cheaper and the cheapest by almost £500. Aside from the Customer Service side, your basic product seems to be appalling.

BankFodder,

I need to pm you very urgently, but your box is full. I also have to go out in five minutes. If I don't manage to contact you before then please be around this evening.

Thank you.

DD

Please will you send an email to our admin address.

Thanks

Hi, I have now spoken to Jamie and arranged for him to complete a call back to you at 16:30 as this is his first available opportunity. With regards to the legal questions that you have posed, payments are often made in relation to policies but not by the policy holders themselves, the transaction details are stored by RBS worldpay and the cardholder is advised that these details could be used for future payments. As for paying compensation, this sounds like it is an individual issue that will need further investigation. When compensation is offered it does not effect the customers right to decide whether their complaint is resolved. Many Thanks, Jamie

I agree a little with Badmonkey if they are correct as to what happened and what info HD provide. Having dealt with Insurance and banking payments, if you ever set up any payment from a third party, you need their agreement to set up any form of continuous authority and when this is ever used again you need to provide them with notice of any payment to go through. I would expect a letter to third party to be required here.

Jamie, I would strongly advise your compliance officers to check with regulators and RBS worldpay to ensure that HD's processes are fully compliant. Otherwise there is a risk of this biting you on your backsides.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Is that the same as for the Forum Administrator? That is where I will send it. Please let me know if it should be something else.

If you hover on the word admin in bankfodders post, the email is showing.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 months later...

An update for anyone who needs any more confirmation that this lot are a set of clowns...

Jamie from this site, has never updated me on this... : "Jamie, I would strongly advise your compliance officers to check with regulators and RBS worldpay to ensure that HD's processes are fully compliant."

It seems his job is to take HD's massive failings away from the public eye, but then to wash his hands of it when he thinks no one's looking. I'm sure he sleeps soundly though.

Meanwhile, as ever, I've done all the chasing and shouldered all the stress, time and expense that involves. Eventually I was passed to someone else, who made all the right noises on the phone about how sorry they were and "oh we shouldn't have done that" and "but things are better now" and "ha, yes I can see how it's too late for you" etc etc Then guess what? After another long wait the reply I received made no mention of my housemates bank details, only mine.

He then told me the good news. My complaint has been partially upheld. Hurray. Does this mean compensation or any public admission of incompetence or worse? No. The best it gets is them telling me my case will lead to improvements for other misguided souls who unwittingly pick this shower as their insurer.

I give up. Got to court. It's the only thing they understand.

In short:

Customer service is either absent or offensive.

They can't explain why their renewal rates are always massive, which stinks.

Any problems and you will have to do all the chasing - they'll sit back and laugh at you.

Jamie - if you can be bothered reading this, can you tell me where you are and when you're available for interview? If you want to brush this under the carpet (as you did before before) can you get your Comms or Press Officer to call me urgently.

An update for anyone who needs any more confirmation that this lot are a set of clowns...

Jamie from this site, has never updated me on this... : "Jamie, I would strongly advise your compliance officers to check with regulators and RBS worldpay to ensure that HD's processes are fully compliant."

It seems his job is to take HD's massive failings away from the public eye, but then to wash his hands of it when he thinks no one's looking. I'm sure he sleeps soundly though.

Meanwhile, as ever, I've done all the chasing and shouldered all the stress, time and expense that involves. Eventually I was passed to someone else, who made all the right noises on the phone about how sorry they were and "oh we shouldn't have done that" and "but things are better now" and "ha, yes I can see how it's too late for you" etc etc Then guess what? After another long wait the reply I received made no mention of my housemates bank details, only mine.

He then told me the good news. My complaint has been partially upheld. Hurray. Does this mean compensation or any public admission of incompetence or worse? No. The best it gets is them telling me my case will lead to improvements for other misguided souls who unwittingly pick this shower as their insurer.

I give up. Got to court. It's the only thing they understand.

In short:

Customer service is either absent or offensive.

They can't explain why their renewal rates are always massive, which stinks.

Any problems and you will have to do all the chasing - they'll sit back and laugh at you.

Jamie - if you can be bothered reading this, can you tell me where you are and when you're available for interview? If you want to brush this under the carpet (as you did before before) can you get your Comms or Press Officer to call me urgently.

Hi Badmonkey73, Thank you for taking the time to post an update. When you last posted on this site I referred you to our Customer Relations department who investigated your complaint and provided you with a response. My role is to liaise between Customers and the relevant departments to ensure that these issues are identified and recorded. I will, as you have requested pass your details to our PR team, you also have the opportunity to contact me directly by email should you wish to do so on the email that I provided you with previously. [email protected] Many Thanks, Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jamie,

Again - can you tell me where you are and when you're available for interview?

Your officious PR person wrote a terse response saying you won't discuss my case as I've had a reply. The fact that the reply misses the point entirely and only talks about "the policyholder" seems irrelevant. Incidentally, I have tried to contact her before, only to be told that your PR aren't contactable. I'll say that again: HD told me that HD Public Relations aren't contactable.

So, what do you suggest now?

By the way, are you ever going to respond re Compliance or shall I just accept that none of you can be bothered?