Error with final conveyancing bill - chasing 18 months later

Donna4545

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2788 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We bought a new home in June 2012 and had a local solicitor sort out the conveyancing. The final bill given to us was paid in full.

In November 2012 we received a letter from said solicitor stating that there calculations had been wrong and we owed a further £360 (no explanation of how it was wrong or updated bill). I immediately contacted them and our conveyancer said she was going on holiday but would look at it when she got back and tell me if there were any problems. No call received.

Roll on 12 months and we receive another letter in November 2013 saying we owed £520 and enclosed a new bill (again no explanation with it to say why it was wrong). Again I contacted and was told I would receive a call but never received one.

Today we have received a letter from a debt collector demanding £360 within 7 days for an undisputed bill or legal action would be taken.

Does anyone know where we stand with this legally?

I intend on going to see the solicitor/conveyancer tomorrow for an explanation so ideally would like to be prepared

Thank you

I'm sure that if legal action is going to be taken then it'll just be passed back to the solicitor. The DCA does say the cheque needs to be made payable to the solicitor.

Do I have any legal right refusing to pay the solicitor for what was their mistake?

Well first you need a brake down of the the bill, to find our how they got this figure and explanation has to where they went wrong ,did you agree or sign any thing when you had finished with the convincing .

• 9 months later...

Wow - old thread but I anyone who is reading this should always request a full break down of costs if this happens. You need to see a financial statement to find out where the additional costs have arisen. From the sounds of it there has been a request for service charges that would be due by you during your occupation in the property. These normally arise with a leasehold property and you are asked to keep a retention on completion to sweep these up. Sounds like your solicitor didn't do that and then, too embarrassed to admit it, fired you a non-commital request for the payment. Why don't solicitors pick up the phone and talk it through with you??