NRAM Together mortgage - why they are so unfair...

IainHL
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

CitzenB, for yours (and anyone else's) edification a Northern Rock Together Mortgage was comprised of 2 components:

• A secured mortgage up to 95% LTV, repayable on repayment or interest only terms, with a term up to 30 years (at least, I think it couldn't go beyond your 75th birthday);
  • An unsecured loan up to 30% LTV, capped at a maximum of £30,000, repayable on repayment terms, co-terminus with the mortgage component, and at the same interest rate.

The specific problem being addressed here is that they used the same paperwork for all Together mortgages, showing the unsecured component as being regulated by CCA1974. This was so even for those borrowing in excess of £25,000, even though at the time the upper limit for CCA regulated loans was £25,000, which was not removed until April 2008, a date either after or near the end of the life of the product being offered.

It seems there are quite a lot of people in this position of having "unregulated" loans written on "regulated" paperwork, and NRAM (as they are now) have declined to offer us the same redress for their failue to comply with the statement requirements of the CCA2006 amendments as they have given to those with loans under the threshold.

Another problem that these Together mortages have is that if you de-couple the components (because of re-mortgaging for instance), the interest rate on the unsecured component jumps to 5% or 8% above SVR, thus dramatically increasing the repayments.

Also there are instances where, in the past, Northern Rock or NRAM have used the provisions of the CCA to take people in financial difficulties to court for non-payment of the unsecured component, including obtaining Charging Orders, despite the fact they are now saying they are not CCA regulated. This is why the OP is trying to contact the 2 people mentioned.

Finally in a post on 6th December 2008 pt2537 stated "the Northern Rock Together scheme is flawed, the agreement is not bolted together properly and as a result it is defective and irredeemably unenforceable". How I wish he was still around to elaborate further on that statement!

Ah righto, yes I can see the problem now. Not sure I have any ideas at all.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...
CitzenB, for yours (and anyone else's) edification a Northern Rock Together Mortgage was comprised of 2 components:

• A secured mortgage up to 95% LTV, repayable on repayment or interest only terms, with a term up to 30 years (at least, I think it couldn't go beyond your 75th birthday);
  • An unsecured loan up to 30% LTV, capped at a maximum of £30,000, repayable on repayment terms, co-terminus with the mortgage component, and at the same interest rate.

The specific problem being addressed here is that they used the same paperwork for all Together mortgages, showing the unsecured component as being regulated by CCA1974. This was so even for those borrowing in excess of £25,000, even though at the time the upper limit for CCA regulated loans was £25,000, which was not removed until April 2008, a date either after or near the end of the life of the product being offered.

Seems odd that they'd use LTV if its unsecured too - not that I know anything about it.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes a £30,000 loan over 25 years (300 months), interest rate initially 5.99% fixed for 5 years, then SVR, which at that point was 6.84%, really does mean you would be paying £31k in interest.

Yes a £30,000 loan over 25 years (300 months), interest rate initially 5.99% fixed for 5 years, then SVR, which at that point was 6.84%, really does mean you would be paying £31k in interest.

Sheesh..!!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D