style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3751 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I received a Bailiff removal letter through the door yesterday demanding payment within 24 hours for my Council Tax. There was no mention on how much was owed. I have called the number at the bottom but it just goes to voice mail so left a message. He still hasn't got back to me so I phoned the Council to find out how much i owed. They told me the amount that was passed to Equita. I asked if i could pay them direct but they said i had to pay the Bailiffs direct. I mentioned that i couldn't get through so they gave me a number to call for their head office. I phoned this number to ask how much was outstanding to be told by a very rude person that i need to contact the Bailiff direct as they don't have the amount on their system. I in turn told them how much the council had told me but they refused to acknowledge the amount. I asked them how i was supposed to pay it if I can't get through and they just said they would give him a message.

I am happy to pay the council direct by an online payment or automated payment line for the amount they say is outstanding but am worried about any fees and proving that I have paid the council direct.

Could you give me some advice please.

Thanks

It is simply incredible that Equita have managed to get away with sending letters to debtors that FAIL to disclose how much is owed. This frankly underhand "practice" has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Has the bailiff 'levied' upon any goods?

Do you have a car outside of your home?

You do not have to pay the bailiffs direct

They have given you the run around

All the more reason to be paying the council direct they can not refuse payment

Keep bailiffs out and keep any cars away to prevent a levy

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

If I pay the council the amount in council tax which is outstanding, what will happen about Bailiff fees? will they chase me for these even though i have no idea how much they are at present.

If I pay the council the amount in council tax which is outstanding, what will happen about Bailiff fees? will they chase me for these even though i have no idea how much they are at present.

That is open to debate to be on the safe side it may be a good idea to pay a extra £24.50

Which is a first visit fee pay that to the council and they can pass it on or knock it off the next bill

There is grounds for a formal complaint to the council as bailiffs won't let you know what is outstanding

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)