style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3751 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought an iPhone 5s in November from Apple - it developed a fault problem. Took it back to store - they confirmed it was a fault - but only offered to replace it with a refurbished phone.

Said no - cause i did not want to end up after two months with second hand phone (with new T&Cs).

Also does not feel fair or legal !!

What should i do ? Any ideas

Thanks

Ed

Hi red-ed

There is no reason at all why you should except a refurbished phone. How did you pay? Assuming it was Credit Card or Visa Debit. Ask to do a chargeback.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

or

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain that having purchased a new product, for it to be faulty after two months is unacceptable, tell them you want it replaced with a new one or a full refund. If they do replace it, find a way to establish that it's not a 'Refurbished' one.

Send it to :-

Apple UK - Mr Mark Rogers -

Managing Director

[email protected]

Thank you rebel11 - i will write to Apple as advised. You advise re. checking the replacement phone is not reburbished is also very valid as I no longer trust Apple. FYI - the so called store manager become very unhelpful when i declined the refurbished phone - and then down right rude when dared to suggest that English consumer trumped Apple policy.

Ed

PS - i am of the view that big stores deliberately train their staff in policy rather consumer law to try and dupe their customers into accepting rotten resolutions.

I’ve had this with Apple regarding an iPad.

After 2 months I would want a new replacement, not a refurb. Seeing as Apple are not playing ball change your request to a refund and not a replacement. You might be able to source a replacement cheaper elsewhere.

Their refurbs are better than most though, the casing is brand new it’s only the insides that are second hand.

Update

Apple claim that it is entirely within their rights to replace a brand new but faulty iPhone with a full warranty a second hand refurbished phone with a limited warranty (just 3 months - and they will replace again with another second had phone) because they class this as a REPAIR not replacement.

Are they being clever are they wrong !!!

Ed