Birmingham Council - Council Tax

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2608 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Guys,

I would like some advice please. One of my relatives has just been made unemployed and it is the first time in his life he is claiming help with council tax. He has just been sent a letter saying that he has to come for an interview under caution.

Can someone please advise as to what steps he need so take to prepare for the interview? He has never claimed anything form the state. He was attacked and had to leave his job.

Thanks

The letter states that he is being investigated because he may not have revealed a change in circumstances. He may be committing an offence or offences. He is now on JSA claiming help with Council Tax.

Hi Guys,

I would like some advice please. One of my relatives has just been made unemployed and it is the first time in his life he is claiming help with council tax. He has just been sent a letter saying that he has to come for an interview under caution.

Can someone please advise as to what steps he need so take to prepare for the interview? He has never claimed anything form the state. He was attacked and had to leave his job.

Thanks

The letter states that he is being investigated because he may not have revealed a change in circumstances. He may be committing an offence or offences. He is now on JSA claiming help with Council Tax.

Do you know what these "change in circumstances" the council are say may have not been revealed are ?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Changes in circumstances that would affect benefits might include:

Money he has earned from work

Money he receives from a pension

Money received as compensation for accident or injury

Savings held in (for example) bank accounts that were not declared when the claim was made

Savings that were declared but have increased since the claim was made

Income from a partner's employment or pension

Partner moving in with him or moving out

and some other things as well. I'm not saying any of this applies to him, but obviously the council thinks something is going on. My first thought would be that he should seek professional legal advice, ideally from a solicitor experienced in benefit matters. He can ask for the interview to be delayed while he does this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

No idea about any change in circumstances

Your relative need to ask the council about the offence, my council do a dropping in session where you can take such a letter and get help. So check out your relative's council see if they have a dropping in session before the interview.