Santander is Overdraft Debt Statute barred

woolsty
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3743 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After dispute over the bank charges i closed my account with Abbey in 2007/8 . The last transaction being on 31/12/2007.

I left with an unpaid overdraft of £1550 , which i disputed during the bank charge reclaims.

I was contacted by Equidebt in 2010 asking for payment, i countered by not acknowledging the debt and stated that the overdraft was simply bank charges unlawfully imposed by the bank and that i would defend any further actions along that basis.

Equidebt never proceeded any further.

I have moved house since 2010 and today have had a letter from Santander thanking me for updating them with my new details i.e. coa. I have not acknowledged the letter.

The account as been inactive since 31/12/2007 albeit they continued to send statements for a short while.

Is this overdraft debt now statute barred ?

Would it take effect from the date of my last transaction or the official date the account was closed which was sometime in the January.

Woolsty... Equidebt are now defunct, went into administration this Past year,.

Id keep an eye out for Cabot, they may have picked this up...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I had a current account which is now closed, and it had accrued O/D charges to just over £100. They still keep sending me the statements and I ignore them. It also started 2007 so I am hoping in few years time it will go. I am not paying in principle because its all charges.

I had a current account which is now closed, and it had accrued O/D charges to just over £100. They still keep sending me the statements and I ignore them. It also started 2007 so I am hoping in few years time it will go. I am not paying in principle because its all charges.

I don't blame yer..

After dispute over the bank charges i closed my account with Abbey in 2007/8 . The last transaction being on 31/12/2007.

I left with an unpaid overdraft of £1550 , which i disputed during the bank charge reclaims.

I was contacted by Equidebt in 2010 asking for payment, i countered by not acknowledging the debt and stated that the overdraft was simply bank charges unlawfully imposed by the bank and that i would defend any further actions along that basis.

Equidebt never proceeded any further.

I have moved house since 2010 and today have had a letter from Santander thanking me for updating them with my new details i.e. coa. I have not acknowledged the letter.

The account as been inactive since 31/12/2007 albeit they continued to send statements for a short while.

Is this overdraft debt now statute barred ?

Would it take effect from the date of my last transaction or the official date the account was closed which was sometime in the January.

On an overdraft the cause of action would be when the first call in the loan, this is when the SB clock starts, unless there was a contract associated with the arrangement in which case it would depend on the terms of that agreement.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

On an overdraft the cause of action would be when the first call in the loan, this is when the SB clock starts, unless there was a contract associated with the arrangement in which case it would depend on the terms of that agreement.

Would the fact the account was closed make any difference? Might that make the amount become due for payment, ie become the cause of action starting the clock ticking.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Would the fact the account was closed make any difference? Might that make the amount become due for payment, ie become the cause of action starting the clock ticking.

The overdraft arrangement can be recalled whilst the main current account remains open of course, in that regard the overdraft is a separate entity.

However it would be difficult for the Bank to maintain an overdraft on an account that no longer existed, and in practice when the main account was closed any overdrawn funds would be recalled in any case.

If i were the OP I wold be searching all correspondence from the bank to see when the overdraft was first called in, in full.

Edited by Dodgeball

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

The overdraft arrangement can be recalled whilst the main current account remains open of course, in that regard the overdraft is a separate entity.

However it would be difficult for the Bank to maintain an overdraft on an account that no longer existed, and in practice when the main account was closed any overdrawn funds would be recalled in any case.

If i were the OP I wold be searching all correspondence form the bank to see when the overdraft was first called in, in full.

Thanks DB. I think a sar might be a good idea if the info can't be found.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

They withdrew my overdraft facility in January 2008 , they sent a letter stating the same the previous month. Hence why i closed the account down. This was done i believe because i had commenced proceedings for bank charges.

They withdrew my overdraft facility in January 2008 , they sent a letter stating the same the previous month. Hence why i closed the account down. This was done i believe because i had commenced proceedings for bank charges.

This letter would indicate the start of the SB period (COA)

This letter would indicate the start of the SB period (COA)

I am unable to locate the letter, however from my statement 3/11/07 to 3/12/07 it states i have an overdraft of X amount , in the charges section i am charged an advanced overdraft interest of a few pounds.

My next statement and subsequent statements make no reference of having an overdraft. In the charges section i am charged £25 for an unauthorised Overdraft dated 2/1/07 and again the next statement.

I am going to assume that the overdraft was withdrawn on the 2/1/07.