being presured to do stuff beyond my job desciption and are actually not supposed to do

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

being pressured to do stuff beyond my job description, and are actually not supposed to do I work on contracted security at a warehouse, and on the orders of the H&S manager we are not supposed to do anything other than security.

I don't mind bending the rules here and there when we are up against the clock at the end of the day by passing boxes into the back of the vans and pallet trucking the boxes to the van.

But the going in to the warehouse to find the other security have been breaking down loads of boxes (using box cutters) mid shift and pallet trucking them down the to rubbish for the last 2 hours, may seem not like much, but if one of us gets sliced on a box cutter requiring a hospital trip, we'd be in for one hell of telling off from H&S, possibly disciplinary, we have be have issued prior instruction we are not supposed to be doing stuff like that, plus we're probably not insured for it.

Results in me getting strange looks on why I'm not doing from the people who's job it actually is and being made to feel very uncomfortable.

Raised it to my super who was doing it as welland his answer is was that you've never done stuff like that are you not a team player, it's your choice.

To which I responded I am and team player, and when they are up against the clock for the last couriers I do help, but this is actually someone elses job, not just a favour, and you helping in this way causes friction for anyone who obeys the H&S manager, or anyone who comes in to cover or is a new starter on security.

I pushed it a bit more and responed he was getting ****** with me, and did not want to talk about it any more and went off to slice boxes.

My super is the kind of guy who does butt his nose in everywhere, and very often goes beyond the job where 2 managers have told us directly we are not supposed to.

Am I being childish because here, I'm being made to feel I am?

Edited by cirian75

1. How long have you worked there?

2. Have you had relevant manual handling/health & safety training?

3. Is there a bit in your contract/employee handbook etc about you doing "any other duties"?

Hi cirian75

When your employed, your given a job description, if it's not in the description, you don't have to do it. That's how an Employment Tribunal would look at it. If you've raised it informally with your manager, raise a formal grievance, send it Recorded Delivery to Human Resources.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_problems_at_work_e/dealing_with_grievances_at_work.htm

If you have a Union, you could seek advice from them, on the whole they support employees, an employee is a bit hit and miss.