Question about rolling tenancy contracts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi allSeeking a bit of advice. I've been renting the same place for the last 2 years.AST is up in the next 6-7 weeks and was a bit concerned we hadnt heard anything about what the Landlord wanted to do (we normally hear about this time)We were fully prepared to begin negotiating any increase but we have been thrown a curveball.We received a phone call last night to say the landlord wants to go to a rolling monthly contract at the end of the AST.This has thrown us slightly but the upshot is that if we dont agree, then he wants new tenants.The LA is puzzled why the LL wants to do this as well but thats what he wants. The plus side is that we dont have to sign a new contract and dont have to fork out the LA renewal fee.However, this of course has left me feeling a touch wary about the LL plan's. We had an inspection about a month ago and the LA has suggested that the LL make a lot of improvements to the property so maybe thats it?! LL is based abroad.Will say that the Landlord has authorised repairs as and when needed very quickly. We have had no issues with him.My initial view is to go with a rolling contract until the summer then ask for a 12 month contract again. I have a son so keen for a bit of security (well, as much as you can with renting!)Fully appreciate that its his house and if he wants to go month by month then that is up to him and he dont own us anything, but can anyone answer the following.(1) Am I right in that even if we are in a rolling month by month contract, he still has to give us 2 months notice (and us, give him one month)?(2) No mention of any increase in rent during the phone call but where does this leave any request for increases? We did have a budget for a 3 % increase. Could i be getting a phone call in say April to say he wants another £50 a month from May and (probably unlikely) but another call in August asking for another £50 from September?(3) Is a landlord obligations the same as it was under a rolling month by month contract as an AST?Many thanks in advance. We are always looking for something better property wise but of course, moving is a pain!

(1) Yes, and it needs to tie in with a tenancy date (example: if your tenancy started on the tenth of a month, then notice from you needs to be given before the tenth of a month to expire on the following ninth, giving a full month's notice (it could be up to eight weeks, depending on the time you give notice) and notice from the Landlord needs to give at least two clear months' notice and expire AFTER the 9th of a month)

(2) Sort of. They can ask for a rent increase at any time, if you don't agree, then they need to use a specific form of words (a section 13 notice) which gives you details of what to do if you don't agree. They can only issue one section 13 notice in a 12 month period.

(3) Yes. Your contract is STILL an AST - it's just a periodic one rather than a fixed term one.

Many thanks Batfink, appreciate the replythe 2 month notice thing is quite important. As I say, happy to accept a reasonable increase but as its a month by month, im hoping to keep any request for an increase down.thanks again