Defaulted Accounts Showing Up As Settled On Credit File

WhatALife

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I check my credit file two to three times a year.

Last time I checked was in August and had 3 defaults as expected.

I checked again today and one of the defaults (unsecured personal loan for just over £16000) was marked as settled in October 2013 - I have had no communication regarding the debt since January 2013 and was making token payments up till November 2012 but had to stop due to my finances getting worse and having to deal with priority debts. I left that address in October 2013 and my mail has been getting redirected to a relatives address.

I checked Experian, Equifax & Call Credit. It is the same on all three.

Has this account been sold on or is something else going on that I don't know about?

I mentioned it to my sister who suggested that a creditor may have bankrupted me and that is why it's marked as settled but I checked the Insolvency Register and there is nothing on that, there is also nothing on my Credit File regarding any court information. I also checked Trust Online and there is nothing registered there.

I'm trying to tidy up my Credit History as I'm looking to move into a rented property soon due to starting new work in April. The agency that renting the property say they may do a credit check so don't really want anything adverse on it.

Everything else on my Credit File with all 3 agencies looks good and nothing out of place but I do find it unusual that a £16k default would be marked as settled and no communication from the creditor.

Edited by WhatALife
Additional info.

Have £20k+ in debt, seriously want to be debt free, currently in temporary accomodation and having business problems.

Hi.

It is likely that this debt is getting ready to be sold to a DCA. What can happen is that a creditor marks the account as settled prior to a new DCA placing the default in their name.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

I forgot to mention that the account was in dispute for various reasons although I've heard that being in dispute doesn't really matter anymore.

The default would have dropped off in a few weeks (it's been almost 6 years since it was registered). If a new creditor adds a default in their own name will the default date be same as the original date or will it be the date of the new default and on file for another 6 years?

Have £20k+ in debt, seriously want to be debt free, currently in temporary accomodation and having business problems.

One debt. One default. If the new owner (if that is what does happen) will have to abide by the original date. If they try it on (as some do) you can complain.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE