Virgin Active decision

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

'Forewarned is forearmed!'

Dear CAG,

After spending many gruelling years pounding the streets of London as a runner, I have finally come to the conclusion that I now need a tad more comfort and sociability from my exercise exploits.

So with that novel goal in mind, I have decided to join a gym, a 'Virginally Active' one at that!… I am absolutely terrified by the possible consequences of such a rash decision!!!! My fear of falling foul of their contractual obligations is palpable, a horrifying prospect, and not something I want to be mulling over time and again whilst in pain on a treadmill, or boring people with in the sauna!!!

This is the reason I have chanced upon your site today. After putting in a general web-search under the title 'virgin active gym memberships', I came to your excellent site, it has so impressed me, so full of benevolence, veraciousness, and most importantly, practical ways to take…Action!!!

Since reading some of the trauma and torment that people have gone through in their respective plights, has compelled me to write this comment immediately. The efforts you make on other people's behalf are admirable. I thank you for it.

I visited my local Virgin Active Gym only two days ago, had the customary introductory tour and sat down and conversed with a very personable and 'seemingly' trusting member of their team.

I am now due to sign up for a flexible contract next Thursday at midday (DD-Day, Direct Debit Day!)…..I wondered, if anyone out there can tell me if they have had, or are having a decent experience at their Virgin Active Gym and also if anybody has ceased a contract recently, and been able to release themselves from the clutches of these odious gym memberships with little to know distress?...

I have been assured by the Virgin Staff Member that as long as I have completed a full-month at the gym, then give my notice before the 17th of the month, that I can extricate myself from the contract with out any prospect of being hunted down by those nefarious creeps at ARC?

Any comment on this comment would be gratefully received. Kind Regards Itinerant Factotum

I wish everyone well and swift conclusion to any problems they may be dealing with…..thank you for reading.

Hi I.F. and welcome to CAG

It's good to see you here giving full consideration to your m/ship decision BEFORE you jump in and join.

The vast majority of problems we see arise from folk not properly reading the T&C's BEFORE they sign. OR, they make the huge mistake of believing what they're told by the gym staff.

Are you looking at the Health & Fitness Full Flexi or the Pruhealth Full Flexi options ? As far as I can see, both of these are rolling monthly agreements enabling you to give a month's notice to leave after paying for the final month.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hello there, and thank you so much for response.

I was (and maybe still am?) hopeful to join on the £94 full-flexible membership….I wasn't quite sure how long after joining on this contract, when I could give notice?….Can you perhaps advise?…I am sure I will ask the staff member at the meeting, but I am really hopeful someone can tell me they have indeed left and had no concerns.

Hi IF,

Most of the threads here are about folk who've had problems so you're unlikely to find threads titled "I tried to end my gym contract and it was a doddle !" :wink:

I've had a look at a few of the gyms' webpages. They appear to detail monthly rolling, 6 month and 12 month agreements. If you take a monthly rolling agreement, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I've not read full T&C's but it looks like you need to give a month's notice, pay a final fee for the last month, and you're free from the agreement. But why not run through the small print first, just to make sure.

By taking the time to research in advance, you are not likely to fall victim to pressure from incentive-driven staff.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I am once again so grateful for the considerate response.

Since your last message, I have done enough research to have come to a decision. I am not going to join a Virgin Gym, I am just not the type of person who really responds positively to pressure from corporations and their advertising. I will find the local community gym and pool and use the cheaper cost and peace of mind as my inspiration to keep fit and healthy.

Thank you for being part of that positive decision. I feel all subversive and rock n roll again!

Kind Regards Itinerant Factotum

Hi IF and thanks for your kind words.

Good luck with the search for a suitable m/ship product.

To VA's credit, they do appear to offer monthly rolling products (at a premium). Local community gyms may not offer the same range of m/ships and they will be administered by the likes of Harlands, who can be a real pain to deal with.

Just make sure you check carefully before signing any agreement and do not take advice about the T&C's from gym staff as, unfortunately, their staff are incentivised and don't have YOUR interests at heart.