Currys (cooker fault)

JGJ
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3703 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I purchased a cooker some 4 yrs ago and it has developed a fault with the grille which has blown the elec breaker out and stopped working.

I have e-mailed them and phoned and received 2 e-mail messages from their know how team, both of which state:

1)You will NEED to provide us with an engineers report. Once we receive this report we will be able to establish where the fault lies.

2)In order to assist you, we will need an independent engineers report showing the fault and the cause.We require the report to be on headed paper and include the cost the engineers will charge to repair the unit. Once we receive this we will look at the cost to repair against the depreciated amount.

I made the claim to them using the SOGA 1979, which clearly states that in your claim you "MAY WISH" to obtain an Independent engrs report, whereas they are stating that "You" will "NEED" to obtain engrs report.

Surely they should be the ones providing the service engr to visit and report back at their expense and not for me to have to pay up front for an engineers report.

All info/advice will be gratefully received.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Soga also states it is down to you to prove an inherent fault and you can only do this with the help of a qualified engineer that field. You may be qualified yourself, hence the wording of the act and you may wish to prove it by providing your own report, if you are so qualified to do so. Most people require an official report to back up their claim.

porkyp1g,

Thank you for your input.

I am not a qualified engr and the SOGA 1979 does not stipulate that I need/must obtain engrs report, it stipulates you may "wish" to.

The point I am trying to make, is that it should be up to Currys as the retailer, to provide at their expense the, in their opinion, a Qualified engrs report.

I am not in any financial position to pay for engrs reports when it is clearly CURRYS responsibility.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Hi.

I had similar with Argos. I paid for the report on the basis they reimbursed me for the cos in with the replacement item.

Iirc the report was about £50.

Without it you will get nowhere bud. After 6 months the onus is on you to prove the fault existed at point of sale/an inherent fault existed.

porkyp1g,

Thank you for your input

The grille has suddenly ceased to work and blew the breakers out, not the thing for a cooker to do,we are supposed to get some longevity out of an appliance and do not expect them to blow up after such a short time of normal use.That is why the SOGA extends to 6yrs.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Hi

I have to agree with the others. In the first 6 months of a sale, if anything goes wrong it is assumed that the fault was there from date of purchase and the seller has to prove it wasn't which is why they will generally repair with no quibbles. After 6 months it is down to the buyer to prove that the fault is a manufacturing one (I am not taking any warranty into account as that is in addition to your rights)

Currys are correct in asking for a report paid for by you however, if the issue is down to faulty manufacturing, you should get your money back from Currys.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

silverfox1961

Thank you for your reply.

I understand the 6 months period however, what I do not understand is the pertinent point, that no one seems to think relevant, nor mentioned the fact that surely a cooker is manufactured to a general safe standard and not expected/prone to blow up after 4 years of light domestic use.

I recently had reason to deal with B&Q stores re a faulty wall hung electric fire, they at their expense, sent engrs on 2 occasions and 1 week later a manager who at their expense, brought a replacement fire and took the old faulty fire away for disposal. All this after 1 E-Mail to their customer services team claiming a repair/replacement using the SOGA 1979.

This was after a period of almost 4 years of using the fire.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Come on, it hasn't blown up has it? You got lucky with b and q as that isn't the norm. Most companies will require you to prove the fault backed up with a report. Just get the report done and if it's a manufacturing fault as you claim you will the money back.

That is interesting JGJ, My cooker is also a Flavel and I can lite the grill and keep it lit only if i hold the knob in, the ignition switch has also gone in and that has already been replaced once before and yes my cooker is also 4 years old.

wonder if the Grill problem is a common failure. and yes i will be using SOGA to get it rectified.

letsgetitsorted,

The control knobs are of poor quality and mine have started to de-laminate the chrome/foil covering coming off and my grill control/knob is very loose.

I have found Curry's not the easiest company to deal with.

Will keep you in touch if any progress made and hopefully you will do the same.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Hi JGJ well today i finally managed to pay Currys a visit, the store response was, i needed to email their customer services which according to store will take around 7 -10 days to get a response from.

get an engineers report, i asked if this would be refunded the response was i dont know, i was also given the phone number for beko, who dont believe there is a known issue with the grill on these cookers.

email off to currys first then and shall see where that goes.

Any engineer's report would need to identify the cause of the failure and not merely the extent of the failure. The longer after purchase that any failure takes place, the harder it will be demonstrate that it was present (albeit in a latent state) at the time of purchase.

The SOGA makes no reference as to how one proves or disproves non compliance with the Act - it is simply guidance given by the likes of the OFT to suggest that getting a report may help. If the cost of the report is disproportionate to the value of the goods then photos or bringing the item into court can assist the Judge in making a determination instead of incuring the cost of obtaining a report in that circumstance. Clearly a report would be appropriate in the instant case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Update, after 2 emails to, [email protected] ( AKA the KNOW HOW TEAM) and a Letterheaded elec engrs report stating that in their opinion that the cause was, the terminal to the grill had not been made up appropriately and had eventually failed causing the grille to fail and blow the breakers out.

They are not the quickest to respond, as you initially receive a comp generated reply from the Know How Team, tel no they gave me for contact (01142806407) then 4-5 days an actual email reply from the investigator and eventually a tel. call from a human being.

After a little haggling and their acceptance to pay for the report and a cash settlement, which will enable me to purchase a new electric cooker with oven and grill.or have my cooker repaired.

I am personally satisfied with this deal and I now await the arrival in my account of the settlement monies.

I hope that the info contained in these posts from all who have contributed, will help someone in the same predicament as I found myself.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Cool! Sometimes it pays to persevere. Well done for sticking to your guns

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi JGJ can i ask how they settled yours, i have just been offered £100 off a new cooker purchase or if i get a price they will give me the repair value as long as it is not over £100.....i havent even needed to send in an engineers report.

cheers

Lets

can pm me if you would rather not say in the open.

letsgetitsorted,

Slightly different to your offer, full price of engrs report and enough to purchase another cooker or have the engrs repair it.

I am very happy with the offer and as I have said previously, they are not the easiest or the quickest to deal with.

Personally I would tell them to think again and ask for a higher evaluation and send in an engrs report as a back up, £100 seems a derisory offer unless your cooker is very close to the SOG limit to claim.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"