Does housing benefit stop when you change from JSA to ESA?

alpo287

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently on JSA claiming for myself, partner and child. However, because of her mental health, her CPN has said that she should be getting ESA and claiming for me instead. And that I also should be getting carers allowance, as most of time is spent caring for her and our child which means I can't commit at the moment to constant jobseeking, going to interviews etc

What i want to know is if we change over from JSA to ESA, will the housing benefit be stopped and have to apply all over again as it's a new benefit, or do they just keep the housing benefit running?

Also, what I don't want to happen is for us to change it all over, and then they send her to an ATOS assessment and say she isn't entitled to it and we have to change straight back to over to JSA again. So does anyone know how long after she gets ESA will an assessment be sent through. Is it straight away they send you for an assessment as soon as the claim is up and running?

If the main claimant changes I believe the hb claim will stop. An you will have to reapply as a new claim in your partners name. Unless ur council suspend your hb claim and you show that your in receipt of esa as the partner.

My ex claimed hb before even tho I was the main esa claimant so can be done

What i want to know is if we change over from JSA to ESA, will the housing benefit be stopped and have to apply all over again as it's a new benefit, or do they just keep the housing benefit running?

It must be reported as a change of circumstances as soon as possible. The DWP has a habit of notifying the council that a JSA claim has ceased, and the council automatically assumes the claimant is working and able to pay full rent/CT.

Report the change of benefits to the council as soon as you have an award letter from the DWP and there shouldn't be any break or change in HB/CT benefits - It may be worth your while sending a short note to the council beforehand advising them that there may be a change (or even give them a call).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Okay thanks, does anyone know that once on ESA, how long it takes for them to send an assessment through? Because I know people who have gone on ESA, been straight to an ATOS assessment and been told they are not entitled to the ESA after only being on the benefit for a matter of weeks

That varies a lot between different JCP and Atos offices, so I don't think we can give you a useful answer on this. In some areas it may only take weeks, in other places it could be months. In theory, the assessment should take place within the first 13 weeks of a claim, but that doesn't always happen.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

:alpo287:

In theory, so long as you notify a change of circumstances to your local authority immediately it occurs, housing benefit and council tax reduction shouldn't be affected. They depend on low income rather than receipt of other benefits. Either partner can be the main claimant.

In practice, there may be some late payments while changes are processed. An initial phone call to notify a change, followed by written confirmation, can lessen the potential for problems .

Couple rate for the assessment phase of employment n support allowance is the same as for jobseekers. And currently, you'd be spared the jobseeking. The disability assessment part of a claim (Atos etcetera) can take from a few weeks to many months. Most parts of Britain have unacceptable delays at every stage of the process.

Carers allowance for you would depend on your wife making a successful claim for a daily living component of personal independence payment. (Unless she already receives disability living allowance.)

Two fact sheets to help you make an informed choice;

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/employment-and-support-allowance-overview

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/personal-independence-payment-pip

Best wishes, Margaret. :panda: