Stress and depression

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am working in a stressed office/business environment the manager is constantly criticising staff members for all problems that arise in the company which are mainly due to his own lack of managerial talent. While the criticism is not directly aimed at me face to face it is done behind my back. I have to listen to constant criticism of my colleagues who are all competent and hard working people. I am becoming seriously depressed and stressed due to this plus the added pressure of staff shortages. Would this count as a case of constructive dismissal or should I sue them for failing to protect my health and wellbeing?

I am 58 years old and would find it hard to find suitable future employment. I have spoken to the MD who is terrified of telling the manager off incase he leaves. My Md is a weak person and is being directed by his manager instead of the other way round.

Any thoughts.

James.

first you have to give them every chance to fix it; you cannot just walk out.

do they know they are making you ill? have you formally asked for changes?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I am working in a stressed office/business environment the manager is constantly criticising staff members for all problems that arise in the company which are mainly due to his own lack of managerial talent. While the criticism is not directly aimed at me face to face it is done behind my back. I have to listen to constant criticism of my colleagues who are all competent and hard working people. I am becoming seriously depressed and stressed due to this plus the added pressure of staff shortages. Would this count as a case of constructive dismissal or should I sue them for failing to protect my health and wellbeing?

I am 58 years old and would find it hard to find suitable future employment. I have spoken to the MD who is terrified of telling the manager off incase he leaves. My Md is a weak person and is being directed by his manager instead of the other way round.

Any thoughts.

James.

Hi James,

if I were in your position I would write a grievance against your manager and send it to the MD, note down exactly what you have said your post, that your managers behaviour is unjust and uncalled for and is making you ill. This will help you in as much as you have created a paper trail and there is written eveidence of what is going on. Wheter it progresses after that cannot be foretold. Who knows he may have a word with the manager show them the letter and they will stop being such an abomination.

2nd option is you could write a NICE letter to your manager and cc the MD and say you are not happy with their conduct it is making you ill etc.

Either way you have semi/ formalised things and hopefully will create a better environment for yourself.

Should these measures fail then you COULD start looking into proceedings, like Emmzii said I think its far to early to bring anyone down as of yet, as nothing serious has happened, it all seems very general.

Hope this helps

Kregards

BB

Hi Jehovah1210,

you would not get to a full Tribunal hearing on this basis - you would be made to look a right chump. Sorry, but the ET process can be a very unforgiving and demanding journey - one that rarely ever operates on an emotional level. It may mean a lot to you - that doesn't mean it means a thing to them.

Reading between the lines you get on OK with the rest of your colleagues - it is just this one manager that is the problem; that and working in a pressurised work environment. Constant pressure doesn't allow for clear thinking.

Sometimes part of the problem can be within ourselves and how we perceive others. I particularly remember two ex work colleagues who reacted with smouldering blind fury to every management decision that was made - no matter what it was about. (They are still there!)

Sometimes stepping back and trying to be more objective might help.... easier said than done though. Are there no team meetings that can be used to clear the air? Maybe even a good chat/bitch over a few beers/coffees with a couple of you colleagues after work might begin to provide a solution. Is there anything that you could do that might be the first positive step towards a resolution?

Most employ is drudgery and for the most part our attitude towards it will always be negative - I think Hebrews 13:8 sums it up nicely. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+13%3A8&version=KJV

How does that some it up, are you saying it's like ground hog day.

Yes indeed smokejumper. The daily grind got to me, especially the hassle that followed my ET submission. I even created a 13:8 screensaver (remember them!).

I look back now and think that I should have done more to keep myself (mentally) healthier at the time - but when it all gets under your skin, well, you can't see the wood for the trees. I hope James looks for the positives in his workplace as well as overcoming (or at least accommodating) the one (big) negative - that manager. Perhaps in time, the manager himself may be got rid of, or move on.

SweetLorraine,

I've often thought to myself that other peoples problems( within reason) seem easy to sort out and vis versa.

I can see ways to sort someone's problems out , but can't fix my own, perhaps I could do a trade.

My life is also a daily grind and really will be glad when it's over.