sickness query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

posting this up to resolve an argument between the wife and myself......

you're off work for a few days, then, say back for a week, then back off for a day WITH THE SAME ILLNESS, then back for a week, then off again with the same illness. Does this be classed as one period of absence or three? She says her workplace regard it as three absences, I thought there was something somewhere where it should be regarded as one absence???

It does relate to a warning a colleague received in work today, the colleague has been off with stress.

short answer 3

long answer 3

i've seen quite a few people fall foul of employers sickness policies by doing as above, once they are warned the employer tends to see week and month long sick notes coming in from other workers so it is then 1 absence

even then they can take the duration into account and employers also take more action (in my experience) for many short absences than a one off longer one as it is more disruptive

It is something called the Bradford Factor, a nasty little thing that came up to show how 'disruptive' repeated absences in the workplace are - and is much touted by HR departments (particularly within the Health sector) as the 'benchmark' for their sickness policies.

If you have 3 periods of sickness absence in the same quarter (or equivalent 'reference' period) it counts very much against you.

It is something called the Bradford Factor, a nasty little thing that came up to show how 'disruptive' repeated absences in the workplace are - and is much touted by HR departments (particularly within the Health sector) as the 'benchmark' for their sickness policies.

If you have 3 periods of sickness absence in the same quarter (or equivalent 'reference' period) it counts very much against you.

Great answer Sillygirl, very informative

Thanks