Threatening email from bathroom fitters

gingdave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently had a new bathroom, completed 12/12/13.

The company that we used provided us with a verbal quote of £1400 to install a new bathroom suite, tile the walls, and install the flooring.

We did not receive a written quote.

We were asked to purchase the bathroom suite (toilet, sink, bath, towel rail, electric shower, shower curtain, toilet roll holder, waste pipes x 2), the tiles, and the flooring.

We paid the final invoice (£1400. Full invoice details: "Labour only to install new bathroom suite and associated tiling")

despite our reservations regarding the quality of the work, but just wanting them out of our house after 3 weeks to do a "5 day job".

We then got a call from the electrician (19/12/13) who fitted the electric shower asking for £220.

We understood that the bathroom fitters were sub-contracting the shower fitting and that it was included in the price, minus the cost of parts.

Myself and my partner remember at least two occasions when the installation of the shower was discussed with the bathroom fitters

and they had said that it was included.

I personally spoke with them as we had considered using an electrician that we knew

but we agreed that it would be easier to use their electrician as it was already included within the original quote.

We hadn't been present whilst the electrician was in the house but he explained the cost of the cabling

and came to the house and showed us the required parts that he had had to install onto the main circuit board in order to make the installation safe.

We were surprised to be facing further costs but paid the electrician for the 'parts' element of the invoice (£120)

as we understood that we had agreed to the initial verbal quote for the labour costs of installing the bathroom

and hence already paid for the labour involved in the installation of the shower but did owe for the parts.

Today we have received an email from the bathroom fitters threatening us with court action

if we do not pay the £100 labour fee for the electricians work.

Where do we stand regarding this?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

If there was no written quote /contract what are they relying on should it go to court

Sounds like one word against another not sure that would stand up in court

• Confused 1

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

You agreed an all in price and they did the work for that price. They subcontracted the electrics so they owe the sparky, not you. I suspect that is why they are chasing you because the sparks wont work for them ever again and they are stuck without one.

Not your problem.