• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

honeygie v HSBC *****WON*****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok, take it from the top. you have all your statements for the last six years, right. go through them and mark all the charges: Charges description on statements - Please Read this is the list of charges you can claim for. now, next to those charges there is often an debit for "interest". so, as you are marking all the charges, mark all the interest items as well. look at everything with a DR next to it, if it is on the list in the link, mark it, and all the interest with DR next to them.

then, go to:6. Interest calculation spreadsheets go on England, Advanced - Works (or excel) to get the spreadsheet. now, at the bottom, click on Charges & Interest. this will bring up a blue and yellow spreadsheet.

start with the oldest item marked on your statements and start entering them, the date listed on the statement, next column the charge - just call it exactly what the bank called it and next column put in the amount.

when you come to an interest one, move tab to the right hand side and put in the date, the interest, the balance at that point (here i will tell you that if the balance is in the minus numbers, a portion of the interest will go onto the spreadsheet - if you are not in negative balance - nothing of that interest will be added - so you will only see an amount come up if you have a negative balance at that point). as for the agreed o/d amt.

"you only fill in that column if your overdraft was interest free, - leave it blank otherwise. to find out if it was interest free (which is unusual) simply look back to see if you were charged interest when you were in overdraft but within your overdraft limit."

(i left it blank - i'm using bong's words here as i never understood it until she wrote that)

proceed through your statements from the oldest to the newest adding on all the charges and interest debits. you will see a total emerging, one on the left side and another on the right side. at the end those are the "you have taken £XXXXX(left side) plus £XXX(right side) which you have charged me in o/d interest.....total £XXXX.

That's about as clear as I can make it - i don't claim to understand it - it just worked for me. This is the information you will need for your prelim. letter and the spreadsheet is your schedule of charges.

more info but not for the prelim. and lba letter:

when you have the spreadsheet done that far, you can click on the 8% button at the bottom and reenter it all again with the date (put a date about 30 days from now - that way, it will be figuring your 8% interest that you can add at the mcol stage at about the same date as you will be filing) it figures the 8% for you based on how many days have elapsed since you incurred the charge. this gives you the 8% interest you will add when you file your mcol.

again, i really never understood what i was doing - just followed the step by step instructions at the top of the site and honestly - the spreadsheet was pretty simple - even for me and i'd never done anything like it before.

good luck with it - you'll soon be ready to send that prelim and you'll be on your way to getting it all back!

i really hope this helps and doesn't just add to your confusion.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks very much lateralus.. i will give it a go.. i hope you dont mind if i come back to you for more help.. thanks again... its getting a little bit clearer now... have a nice day

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]S.A.R. sent 30 October-reply received 10 november[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Prelim letter sent 28 november- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]LBA sent 13 december- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]MCOL filed 30 december- issued 02/01/07[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]loveletter from colin received 02/01/07-saying will get in touch on feb 9[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]acknowledged claim on 4 jan- has until 1 feb to defend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]defence entered 31 jan 2007[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]offer received 1-2-2007... still waiting for the moolah though:cool: ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]and moolah arrives 1-march 2007!!! Praise the Lord!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

help again please?

i live in wales, where do i address my letters from now on? it didnt click when i sent my sar to the london address. but they replied anyway.. should i address my prelim letter now to an hsbc person here in wales?

thanks again for the help

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]S.A.R. sent 30 October-reply received 10 november[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Prelim letter sent 28 november- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]LBA sent 13 december- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]MCOL filed 30 december- issued 02/01/07[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]loveletter from colin received 02/01/07-saying will get in touch on feb 9[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]acknowledged claim on 4 jan- has until 1 feb to defend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]defence entered 31 jan 2007[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]offer received 1-2-2007... still waiting for the moolah though:cool: ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]and moolah arrives 1-march 2007!!! Praise the Lord!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

i fixed that link to the spreadsheet in my post above -

someone else may answer about wales - i think you just use the same as england - it's scotland that has some different details. but i'm american, so what do i know?!!!

try the spreadsheet and see how you get on.

got my schedule of charges typed and printed... i still havent got an answer as to where best to send my prelim letter...

do i always use the registered address? or try to find another one closer to home.. as i live in wales..

please can anyone help.. it would be much appreciated.. thank you...

oops by the way, thanks lateralus,,, after a few headaches i was able to use the spreadsheet... thanks again for your help.

ok here we go.. tidied the prelim letter, finally decided to send letter to ian shepherd at conventry, and will be posting the letter today.. fingers crossed...

yup did it recorded.. only i posted it today instead of yesterday.. but neverminded will keep dates in mind... started drafts of the other letters now.. hehe... i think i should look at my christmas shopping list for now.. shame i wont be able to get refunded before the hollies.. anyway thanks again. lol...

ugghhh... been reading more threads and i think i did a blooper now... i sent my prelim letter back to ian sheperd... should i send another one back to london square? help please.

no, that will be fine. i may have misunderstood your pm. up to the claim - it is ok to use just about any address. on the claim you should use that london address but that one you used is ok for your prelim or lba and it will not effect anything at all. they all get to the same place.

• Haha 1

thanks lateralus.. if you could just hear my big sigh of relief.. lol... i think i should tip your scales really;) you've been very helpful.. thank you very much.

hello again.. been reading more threads and subscribing to them to keep track.. lol.. anyway.. i went back to my spreadsheets and done the 8% interest bit. i noticed it calculated the 8% on the penalties charged and on the interest charged on the penalties.. which is quite interesting.. but do i include both amounts to my claim? also... just to double check:

1. i sent prelim letter and it was received 30 nov..

2. so 14 days should fall on the 14 dec, which is when i send my lba..

3. and then i count 14 more days from there (presuming lba letter is received 16 dec..) which would hopefully fall on dec 30- the day which i should file for mcol.

so does this mean the date to put on the 8% bit is 30 december?

help please.. thanks.

yes, the total of the claim is now the charges and the o/d interest on those charges, so at the claim stage (not lba), the 8% on the total of the claim.

it is always 14 days from you sending your letter - regardless of when they receive it.

i always say 30 days from your first letter - that's 14+14 plus 2 days turn around, if you are strictly sticking to the time frame,

so it's a little earlier than you figured - you do the maths - i've got to run.

be around later if you need me. that 30 days from your prelim is the date i'd use on the s/s

thanks very much lateralus.. you seem to be the one always putting sense into my head... will surely keep to timeframe... cheers!!!

maybe we think alike - (i didn't think there was anyone else who thinks like me. my o/h certainly doesn't think so - he thinks i'm nutty as a fruit cake most of the time), but basically, i care about other people and love helping out (think it's empty nest syndrome -except i can't actually get rid of my 2 little 6' boys). i just think of some of you as my extended family!

keep posting - and i'll keep poking my nose where it's wanted. have a good weekend.

forgive me lateralus.. i thought you were a he.. sorry.. i dont know why i thought that.. but anyway.. thanks a lot.. will surely come to you for help.. have a nice weekend as well!

please dont get me wrong.. i dont mean that in a bad way or anything.. well i mistook bong for a different nationality but she was very nice to reply to me anyway.. and yeah she is quite helpful as well. like you.. by the way... may i ask you about the lba letter.. it sounded like the prelim letter.. i dont mean to criticise it but.. is it alright to tweak it a bit? thanks.

they are very similar - first you are letting them know that you aren't happy and are asking for something, you give them 14 days, then you are basically saying - ok, you haven't done what i asked, now i'm giving you notice that i'm going to take it further - that would move most people to at least contact you and try to resolve things - but as they don't, you just give them that second 14 days, then you file your claim. so yes, the prelim and lba are very similar. what do you need to tweak?

ugghhh. yeah. i read it again and finally understood... i usually log on late in the night. my mind doesnt digest properly.lol. thanks again for the help..

sent my lba letter today. recorded delivery. this time i sent it to customer relations in canada square.. hope this is ok.. anyway.. i now wait another couple of weeks right?

14 days - so, get reading on the mcol stuff - the faqs. and go into the mcol site, register and work your way up to the particulars - it's very easy to pop in and out of the site - you have 14 days to get it the way you want it - then when the time is right - you just have to pay and submit and it's away (be sure you wait the right time) but it's easy to register and get familiar with it and ask any questions.

i have registered already at mcol online.. does this mean i can start filling in the details and be able to save data inputed, without submitting it yet.. if you get what i mean? thanks lattie (teehee.. i kinda like the sound of that nickname..hope you dont mind..) ugghh. cant wait to keep waiting.. lol... so now i can file mcol on 27th... cool!