• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

honeygie v HSBC *****WON*****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello everyone.. i need help and this site has been recommended particularly about reclaiming bank charges over the years... i was reading an article about this and it was exciting to know that i can do something about this frustrating situation. but at the same time, i am quite scared whether to go ahead and take some action. as at the moment, i feel that is is my fault that i got behind too much with my finances.. well there we are.. i suppose i need to read about the success stories and the horror stories as well..

thank you guys.. hope to get feedback from some of you...

have a nice day and Godbless:)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]S.A.R. sent 30 October-reply received 10 november[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Prelim letter sent 28 november- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]LBA sent 13 december- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]MCOL filed 30 december- issued 02/01/07[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]loveletter from colin received 02/01/07-saying will get in touch on feb 9[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]acknowledged claim on 4 jan- has until 1 feb to defend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]defence entered 31 jan 2007[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]offer received 1-2-2007... still waiting for the moolah though:cool: ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]and moolah arrives 1-march 2007!!! Praise the Lord!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read through some threads and notice that the one thing they all have in common is that nobody has failed to get their money back. Go for it!

HSBC

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3078

24th October - LBA

7th November - Claim filed

11th November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Defence filed

16th December 2006 - Offered full amount but no default removal. Rejection letter sent.

Halifax

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3427

24th October - LBA

3rd November - Offered £913

3rd November - Accepted as partial payment

7th November - Claim issued

21st November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Offered full amount but no late payment removal

4th January - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

A & L

19th October - Prelim for £540

26th October - Offered £358

2nd November - Accepted as partial payment and LBA

27th November - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

Hello Honey dont be scared, a couple of weeks ago I came across this website and couldn't even find the faq, templates etc. (don't laugh) it was all just a maze to me and i thought i would never be able to make a claim! Anyway I have spent so much time on here studying the guides, faq, other peoples posts etc, that now i have actually started my claim! I cannot believe it really!

It really does take a lot of reading but slowly the fog lifts and you really start to understand what's what.

You will be fine and confident enough to take those banks on in no time!:-)

thanks for the encouragements alexifa and hugelyrippedoff... its all daunting at the moment... but yeah.. i just need to master the courage and take the first step... phew... i shall read and read and read.. gives me now a reason to use the internet more wisely...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]S.A.R. sent 30 October-reply received 10 november[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Prelim letter sent 28 november- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]LBA sent 13 december- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]MCOL filed 30 december- issued 02/01/07[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]loveletter from colin received 02/01/07-saying will get in touch on feb 9[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]acknowledged claim on 4 jan- has until 1 feb to defend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]defence entered 31 jan 2007[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]offer received 1-2-2007... still waiting for the moolah though:cool: ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]and moolah arrives 1-march 2007!!! Praise the Lord!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hello Honeygie,

Tonight I decided to read more and work towards making a claim. I have had the same thoughts as you but I decided that as the action was unlawful then i was not going to feel guilty. Good luck with your claim.

there's loads of information here! im getting overwhelmed at the moment.. i seem to be jumping from one topic to another.. i have read the faq's so far.. and i got lost somewhere.. so i gotta read it again. thanks karish

i thiink i will call it a night soon.. im not absorbing anything at the moment anymore.. but it is nice to read some of the success stories.. one thing's for certain.. it is one battle that can be easily won or faought hard.. i dunno... hope all goes well for you..

hello to you. i am new to this. and has got really excited. now i am trying to make the first steps.. and i do need help now...

or it is just very late and i am getting confused and excited at the same time.. i have just figured out how to see my bank statements of yesteryears.. and able to see the 'total charges' in the statements and it varied over the years. now i am lost...

what is the next step? how do i know how much i can claim back? (this is why i hated maths.. toinks)

help me please? anyone?:confused:

Hi Honeygie

No your not stupid, it seems confusing to everyone at first. First thigs first, have you had a really good read of the Step by step instructions and the FAQ's? If not, here you go; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-step-step-instructions.html; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/24031-frequently-asked-questions.html.

After spending a couple of days familiarising yourself with the process, reading some 'successes' threads, etc, your next step is to find out exactly how much you have been charged. You can claim back a maximum of 6 years, and re-claimable charges are all those imposed for defaults, such as 'card misuse', 'DD/SO Recall' and 'Total charges to **/**/**', etc.

If you have'nt got all your statements for the last 6 years, you need to ask HSBC to send them to you by making a 'subject access request' under the Data Protection Act 1998. There is a template letter in the library; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html. Don't forget to send the £10 fee and send it recorded.

If you do have access to your statements going back the full 6 years, then you need to add up all the relevant charges and put them onto a spreadsheet; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html.

You will then have the total value of your claim, so you can write to HSBC with a 'Preliminary approach for repayment' letter. Again, you will find this in the templates library; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/. Send it off along with your spreadsheet and that will start the clock ticking untill the next stage.

That should keep you busy for now, remember to take in as much information from the site as possible - everything you need is contained here somewhere, mainly in the step by step instructions and FAQ's.

Good luck!

• Haha 1

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

thank you gary h... i sure will try to familiarize myself with the faq's... it sure looks like a long process and i feel like i havent got time... it is scary... thanks again.

Take it one step at a time and you'll be fine.

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

hello to all.. thanks to my desperation my prayers are answered! nope.. i havent started anything yet..i am new to this. but had posted in other threads.. been trying to understand ang familiarise myself with the very helpful and inspiring entries here.. and i am on my second day trying to gather as much information as i can.. and am slowly getting there.

was able to understand how to use the spreadsheet.

was able to view my charges for the last 5 years i have been banking with hsbc.. but it was through the internet though..

and now summoning the courage to send a prelim letter to them...

i have a few questions though if i may..

1. is what i saw on my internet banking site the same statements i will receive if i request an s.a.r? or am i better off requesting the full s.a.r?

2. is my claim the total amount i get if i total all the charges i have inputed on my spreadsheet? Or am i to calculate the interest rate they have used and then subtract that or something? sorry am really daft when it comes to maths..

3. i also noticed that i cannot claim on agreed fees~ hsbc started using "overdraft fee and excess overdraft fee" on my bank statement.. does it mean i cannot include it in my claim?

oh please, please kind people, help me out.. i'd really like to get this started as soon as possible...i dont mean to be impatient... am just desperate and frustrated...

and is there any suggestion for which bank to open my 'parachute account'? i have been advised to open a new account and to start fresh...

thank you very much for taking time to read... have a nice day and hope to hear from any of you...

finally able to use the spreadsheet.. got my statements via internet banking though.. should i request full s.a.r. instead? thanks again gary h

If you are sure you have all your statements then you may as well proceed straight to your prelim letter. When adding your charges up into the spreadsheet, remember that the 8% interest does'nt get added at this stage.

Guest ian cognito

Firstly welcome and well done in taking the time to read before posting, the more you do so the more confident you will become in the process and there are many kind souls here to help.

1. The banks statements will be the same but the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) also request evidence of manual intervention in relation to your charges, evidence you may later rely on in court as they say on "The Bill", probably won't provide any but at least you have asked!!

2. Once you have input your charges into the spreadsheet, you will have the first 3 columns that detail your charges and the last two that detail the interest, you only need to send off the first 3 columns with your letters, if you have a problem with doing this, please shout back. This details the full amount of charges.

3. Just because they call them fees doesn't mean they are, some accounts have a monthly fee because the account provide benefits (insurance etc.) but these are usually small (£5 or so?) the rest, which vary from around £20 to £35 are penalties and can be claimed back.

As you can see from the forums, all the banks are being claimed against so not much to pick between them, in day to day banking terms, I like HSBC/FirstDirect as they bank in 'real time'!! Co-op have been most reasonable about returning charges but I guess the real secret to success is avoid charges!

Hope this helps - good luck

i agree with you janquinny, that is why when i asked for advise about whats happening with my account, and was explained to me, opening a new account to start fresh is the most sensible suggestion besides getting another job for extra money... thanks for replying to my queries. youve been very helpful. i will surely bear them in mind.

thanks livelylad for the links.. really helped me decide..

will keep this thread updated about the progress of my soon to be rolling claim battle.. toinks.. Godbless folks....

tomorrow is a new day and a beginning.. but am still undecided whether to send a prelim letter.. should i wait to open a parachute account just in case?

anyone help please?

Honeygie, will you please start your own thread in the appropriate bank forum.

Post any questions and progress reports there.

Good luck with your claim.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

oops. sorry...

• 3 weeks later...

here goes... got a letter through the post the other day returning my cheque for my sar... something interesting in the letter about manual intervention being about withdrawal transactions and the like over the counter etc. etc.. but no mention of any evidence or dates or notes of those.. anyway.. thought that sounds dodgy already.. also, just checked my account and i got charged again... as soon as i start rreceiving these statements.. i suppose the game really starts.. am getting excited and scared. i feel like im losing a lot of time.. it seems its getting difficult to get claims back.. they seem to be getting more clever as the days go on... hmmm...

help please with the prelim letter

"What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX"

the plus bit confused me.. where do i get that value?

i have read some threads about this but it i still dont get it.. sorry for being dumb...i know it might sound i am asking you to do the work for me.. but i am stuck.. sorry.. please help... thank you.