Carphone Warehouse won't replace MicroSDHC card in warranty/RESULT

rsdave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Six months ago I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone (SIM free) and at the same time a Sony 32Gb Micro SDHC card

- a total spend of almost £600.

Naturally I kept all the packaging and receipt.

Yesterday the SDHC card completely died the death. Not recognized by phone or PC, it can't be read or even re-formatted.

So, it's dead.

As it was well within warranty I fully expected Carphone Warehouse to replace it, as of course it cannot be repaired.

Not the case it would seem, as it is more than 28 days old, they wash their hands of it, and place the onus on me to try and return it to Sony. No easy feat when they don't tell you how and it's not in the documentation supplied with the product.

What happened to the good old days when you bought something, and provided you kept the receipt and it was still in warranty , if it failed, you could just pop back to the shop and they'd replace it?

Anyhow, back on topic. It would seem this clause applies to everything they sell. For small, non-repairable items such as memory cards and headphones, for example, this seems really unfair.

I would love to know what the legal status of this is, and whether CPW are complying with the Sale of Goods act with this clause.

Dave.

Its a hard one and recently had to replace the Micros SD i got after 4 months.

Phones4U did it no quanders. CPW are under no obligation to replace the card... As their is usually a MANUFACTURERS Warranty.

Id try to contact Sony as they will replace it for you.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Its a hard one and recently had to replace the Micros SD i got after 4 months.

Phones4U did it no quanders. CPW are under no obligation to replace the card... As their is usually a MANUFACTURERS Warranty.

Id try to contact Sony as they will replace it for you.

Complete rubbish.

Carphone Warehouse are 100% responsible under the SOGA. Warranty is nothing to do with it, the retailer is the one who has responsibility.

Hi everyone.

Here's a reply from Sony. They won't replace either! They say it's the retailers responsibility.

Now armed with this, and SOGA, do you think I stand a good chance of getting CPW to replace under warranty?

09:31 (1 hour ago)

Dear Mr Robinson

Thank you for contacting Sony support. We are sorry to learn that your Sony Memory card SR-32UY is not recognized any more by your Samsung Galaxy S4 mobile.

In regards to your query, we recommend taking the product back to the original retailer.

The product that you have referred to is what Sony describes as an 'IWX' product.

This term describes a product that is not economic to repair if it fails, and is therefore classified as an 'in warranty exchange' item during the one year guarantee period.

In the event that an IWX product fails during the guarantee, it must be returned to the supplying retailer for examination/exchange.

I am sorry I cannot be of greater assistance on this occasion; however I hope that my e-mail has gone some way to clarifying this matter.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Amel

Sony Customer Support

Sony Europe Limited

Email:

Phone: 0844 8466 555

Phone: VAIO out of warranty - 0905 031 0006 (35p/min plus network charges)

Phone: Ireland in warranty /out of warranty numbers: 01407 3040 / 1530 501002 (33 cent/min plus network charges)

Sony United Kingdom and Ireland, a division of Sony Europe Limited.

A company registered in England and Wales. Registered office:

The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW

Registered company number: 2422874

SOGA covers you. keep pushing with CW and go higher and higher up the chain. It might only be a Micro card, but its the principle you need to address. if theyre doing it to you, how many thousands of other people are they doing it to as well?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

CPW are the only people who you have a contract with and they ARE responsible. When you go back to the store and point out the error of their ways tell them that as you have been brushed off previously you would be being reasonable if you asked for your travel costs as well. If they still disagree ask them to phone their own legal dept at head office and ask the people there why CPW are exempt from the SOGA and no other retailer is.

Well, I've had a bit of a result with this issue today. I decided to change tact and try my luck another store. I was at Bluewater anyway, and armed with the receipt and a printout of the email from Sony I requested that they replace the faulty card. Well, although the person serving had to check with their manager, I got a brand new replacement card! Wohoo!

I think we can safely say case closed - thanks to all that contributed.

Dave.