Jump to content

What benefits are available for newly separated mum?


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

My friend has recently left her husband and they have two young children under 7. She's moved into a friend's empty house that's on the market, for the time being, until she's able to find somewhere more permanent. Her husband is staying in the family home where their kids were born, which is rented. She only works 12 hours a week and wants to know what benefits she'd be entitled to. She doesn't have a tenancy agreement for the house she's staying in for now as the owners are letting her stay there as a favour and not charging her a set rent. She's 41 and her children will be staying with her.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there.


1) Maintenance from the father

2) Child Benefit (though she's probably getting that already)

3) Child Tax Credits

4) Council Tax Benefit

5) Housing Benefit (if she does start needing to pay rent)


Get her to go through this website - there's a great calculator, there could be other stuff I've missed: http://www.turn2us.org


- Seq.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. This is where it starts to get complicated. She says that because she probably won't be in this property for more than a few months, she's not going to change her address with anyone (HRMC, child benefit etc) she's just going to leave it as her former address until she finds somewhere permanent, as her husband is staying there and things are amicable. So if she starts claiming anything as a single parent, but keeps her old address, even though she's not physically living there, would that affect her claim? Her husband doesn't claim any benefits as he is employed full time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If she doesn't change her address DWP and HMRC are likely to assume she's still living with her husband and could start a fraud investigation. I would strongly advise against not changing her address.


"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again.


Others here know more than I do, but I've seen from reading around this forum that problems arise from someone who says they're single and is found to be living with their ex. I don't think it's ideal.


Hopefully someone will know how to deal with being somewhere for a short time with the paperwork.



Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone I will tell her. Can she say that the house she's staying in is a temporary address?


She can tell them that it's temporary, but it's not particularly important. They're used to people moving around, especially in a situation like hers.

  • Haha 1




The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...