fredeiicksons chasing 2006 'legl aid' debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Legal aid debts may not be paid

Large amounts of legal aid money that could have been reclaimed by the Legal Services Commission (LSC)

may be lost because of missed recovery deadlines.

Last week, the appeal court ruled the LSC was time-barred from recovering money owed it by an individual whose grant of legal aid

was revoked by the Legal Aid Board in 1999 for failure to provide requisite documents. T

he case, LSC v Rasool concerned whether the LSC’s claim, made in 2006 for more than £17,000, was statute-barred under the Limitation Act 1980.

The court held that it was.

In his judgment, Lord Justice Ward expressed concern that other claims for recovery may be time-barred.

Referring to the county court’s ruling in the case, h

e states: “[The judge] dismissed the claim but gave leave to appeal because the issue could be a matter of significance to more than the present parties

—indeed we were told, I confess to my surprise, that large amounts of money have not been collected in many cases where certificates have been revoked.”

Simon Pottinger, of JRS Consultants, says:

“The client at the centre of this case had his legal aid certificate revoked, which is not a common occurrence.

However, my reading of the judgment is that the statutory limit applies to all monies over six years old and not resolved, i

n which case potentially significant sums of money—millions of pounds—is involved. It’s a Pandora’s box.”

An LSC spokesman says:

“The court’s judgment in this case provides clarity on the issue involved.

We are currently obtaining leading counsel’s opinion on the implication of the judgment.

“However, it appears that only a small number of cases, of negligible value, will be affected by the judgment.”

can i have a link to this please?

think ive found it cheers

now the next bit. im not hoping to get away with not paying it, i am willing to pay this off ok based on the current amount i can afford (low wage two kids my wage is low enough since being made redundant and taking a dire job rather than sit on the dole that im only 25 quid a week better off working but thats not the point is it) would mean it would take something like ten years to pay this off based on the currnet amount they are claiming she owes

to do this am i better contacting the original people over repayment. Please bear in mind the debt is not mine so ive no idea where i stand on this, and even if they will speak to me

cut out carter

contact the Legal Services Commission directly.

carter can do NOTHING to you

they do not OWN THE DEBT

and they never can

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if the LSC could have gone to court

they would have done.

something smells here.

why farm out a debt.

they got heavily criticised for allowing rossendales collect

to threaten their bailiffs wing in removing debtors belongings some time back.

so now they are using freds/carters.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If she admitted it verbally it shouldn't count. It's more important to find out when she last acknowledged the debt in writing - if she ever did.

I don't know enough about Government Agency debts but I can't believe they would be adding £8,000 in interest and charges so it's probably Fred's.

If you need to make an arrangement to pay the £2,000 at some stage because it isn't statute barred you should be able to do this with LSC and they should agree to instalments. But you certainly should be agreeing to pay £10,000.

The debt is not yours, you should not make yourself responsible for it.

First of all you need to establish if your wife has "in writing" acknowledged this debt or made any payment toward it.

If it is not statute barred, then you need to know exactly how this amount is made up - you want a full accounting.

You can obtain authority from your wife to deal with this on her behalf, or simply have her sign the letters you draft up. However you should not imply that by acting for her, that you are assuming responsibility for it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Lost, you seem to have ignored what a lot of the knowlegable people have said here, you can start getting into some dialogue with the people chasing you, finding out what exactly the debt is made up of...etc and wasting an awful lot of stamps and time and more importantly experiencing an incredible amount of pain in the process. Do spend some time reading around these forums a little more and you will become enlightened I assure you.