Lowell - chasing HBOS credit card debt what to do next...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning All,

I could do with some advice, if someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

I've been receiving letters from Lowell since about August 2013.

It's regarding what I think is an old credit card debt with HBOS from several years ago (about 7 I think).

I had a plan set up for a number of years with Harrington Brooks and continued to pay this until the end of 2012.

I stopped payments because I received a payment from ...... for a refund of credit card charges on this very card,

and figured that the refund had paid off the outstanding debt and the remainder of the refund had been paid to me.

I'm now thinking that maybe this didn't happen.

Lowell claim I owe £325 on this card.

Lowell have played the usual games, sending letters from Lowell,

Red and the latest letter from Red states that they're passing it onto Hampton Legal.

I've just started getting my credit rating back on track and I certainly don't want a CCJ,

but I also want to make sure that I actually owe this money before I pay a penny.

Does anyone know the best course of action to take?

The debt definitely isn't statue barred because I've made a payment on in the last 3 years

(even though the debt has gone from my credit file since the default is over 6 years old).

Any advice that anyone could give would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Suggest a recorded delivery letter to Lowell, asking for a full breakdown and statement of account confirming how the £325 has been calculated. Advise them that following a successful PPI refund claim, you believe that there is no amount left outstanding and that you hold Lowell to strict proof that there is still an amount outstanding.

I would suggest that you send a letter that is a bit more specific as suggested, rather than the standard prove it letter. Lowell will have to make enquiries with the original creditor to obtain the info they need to answer your letter, as I doubt they have the info.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I had considered the standard prove it letter, but I'm also in agreement that the template doesn't quite cover the full situation of what's happened with the account. The refund was actually for unfair charges, but I also believe that there is still an outstanding claim on the credit card for PPI. The claim was only started last year though so I don't expect a result from that claim any time soon. I think I'll do as suggested and send a tailored prove it letter, then wait to see what comes back. Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!