Help for mum with mobile phone debt that isn't hers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've now received your email and will get back to you as soon as I can.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK

Hi Lee,

are you any where near ready to help me with this?

Cheers

* Sorry- forgot you are ringing me today !!! *

Edited by rattters

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

My mum hadn't received any of the promised letters from Lowell - so I got them to email me the forms.

I have spoken to Lee and am not sure where things are at the moment- he needs to speak to someone else.

Do I fill these forms in - one for income/expenditure and one to give authority to speak to me about it ??

Or is vodafone going to take this back into their control?

Cheers

no wait for LEE

never give a dca ANY pers financial details!!

only a judge cant demand that

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ohhhh- thankyou dx :) I shall wait!

They have said they have put the account on hold for 30 days-

so I am worried they can start taking more money again

- although they say they have cancelled the direct debit

and my mum has cancelled the direct debit at the bank

- can Lowell start taking money again?

NO!!!

and if they do you tell you bank andget it refunded

for now

allow lee to do his stuff

might take a few days mind.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks again dx- I am so glad for all your help and advice :)

Just waiting for the DCA to send letters for the latest mobile phone he has with EE to come chasing for the £300 he has on that- should we contact EE now to see what can be done? (ie my brother "persuaded" my mum to sign for a contract phone again last year, and he was paying it for a while)

The phone has been cut off now- and my mum is well protected now from my brother doing any more things like this !! :-(

cheers guys

Thanks Lee.

My poor mum is petrified now that someone is going to come knocking at her door, especially with the looming 2nd phone debt looming- I have spoken to EE and they aren't prepared to do anything than let it go to the debt collectors- or make 6 monthly payments which my mum just can't afford.

I know some people may be reading this and thinking- well she signed the agreement, she must have known what she was signing for- but my brother is very clever at manipulating and convincing her that he would be making the payments and it would never go back to her- and bearing in mind my mum is a complete luddite!!

My thanks again to everyone on here for your help- I don't know where I would be without you!!:redface:

If it helps your Mom, then print this off and tell her to keep it by the front door: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387366-Harassment-amp-Threat-of-Doorstep-Visit

Seriously, NO-ONE is going to come banging on her door, those days are long gone, but these parasites still like to use that threat

in an attempt to intimidate and exploit the debtors lack of knowledge.

This site isn't a place to judge others, although a few of the rogue sleeper cells still try, it matters not one jot how the individual

came to be in the position they're in.

Debt collectors are NOT bailiffs, they often like to think they are and give people that impression,

but they are really unqualified ex burger flippers with absolutely NO legal powers whatsoever.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 2 weeks later...

Update- Lee has suggested we now leave it with Lowell and it is with their sensitive cases department. I have sent them a letter of authorisation so all contact will come to me not my mum.

What would me next step be? Should I send them a "prove it" letter - bearing in mind my mum panicked when the phoned her and she ended up setting up a direct debit for a few months.

I am currently dealing with a company called Buchanan Clark & Wells for exactly the same thing- another mobile phone my brother had her sign for last year and has a debt of £344 now :(. I spoke to EE and they said the only thing they could do was set up 6 monthly payments otherwise it will go to BCW - so I left it to go to BCW as my mum simply doesn't have any money to pay any of these debts.

What to do?

surely both of these can be deemed as fraud do you think?

i'd be contacting actionfraud if this is the case.

certainly I would not be paying them a penny.

dx

and they

surely both of these can be deemed as fraud do you think?

i'd be contacting actionfraud if this is the case.

certainly I would not be paying them a penny.

dx

I wouldn't have thought so dx- my mum did sign a contract with Vodafone and EE under duress from my "lovely" brother- he paid some payments- but then runs up debt and it eventually goes back to my mum. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update you all

I have had some help from Step Change and they are going to help us set up a Debt Relief Order

- which will last for 12 months and then the debts are written off

- we have to pay £90 for this

- but this is going to be much easier to handle than the money that is owed to both these phone debts.

I thank you all for your help - it has been invaluable :)

beware of debt management companies... they can CLAIM all of this but they have no powers to enforce it!

do some research on CAG regarding this.

most importantly read this: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?417-Debt-Management-Companies

I know step change are a free one, but you have shown yourself capable of dealing with things yourself... maybe have a read around there and see if you can sort things better for yourself and your mum.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi Locutus,

I have spent a lot of time looking around for ways to sort this out- and I really can't find any other way or doing it- the total debts are around £2000 and the thought of just paying £90 and having them written off after a year is the most appealing. My mum wont be needing any credit so the affects on her credit rating are not a problem.

If anyone does have any ideas of other options we have- please feel free to share them with me- I am open to any suggestions

Cheers

Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for updating the thread with these developments.

I'll follow up on things with you during the course of today.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK

Hi Lee

mum can't remember either! If you can ring her and she will set a new password

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Sorting out a mobile phone debt that has been bought by Lowell (long story on a different thread)

and have requested the original CCA and any other proof of the debt

- in the understanding that if they don't reply within 12+2 days they can't persue it through the courts.

Lowell are telling me mobile phones aren't covered by the Consumer Credit Act - is this correct?

Many thanks

Edited by rattters