bought car which turns out to be unroadworthy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3740 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If members wish to have threads removed then they should apply to admin giving their reasons.

Threads are only normally removed if there are legal reasons for doing so.

Yes we can close threads which may be done for various reasons but we are not in the habit of removing threads.

I can see no personal data in the original post but am happy to be corrected if I have missed something but it doesn't alter the fact that the web archives cannot be edited and will remain available for those who find it on a web search for example.

IMS....... most unlike you to intentionally miss the point........ editing/removing data, what gives you the god given right to compromise that decision and reinstate data specifically removed from this site?

This is not about web archives, spiders and bots this is about your interpretation of the site rules and the rights of posters within it

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me Mike, I want to see crooked traders out the game as much as everyone else. But I can also see it from both sides.

The OP here bought a car aware the advisories it required. She even had somebody inspect the car on her behalf prior to purchase.

She then had an inspection carried out which included dismantling of steering components. The problems found are by and large just an increased wear on those previously outlined advisories. Now, in law as soon as another garage has actually dismantled parts the selling garage can wash their hands of it. I'm not saying that is ethically right or wrong, it is simply what the law says. After all an MOT tester cannot remove any parts during a test.

At some point we are all responsible for our actions. I think yes probably OP has bought a bad 'un. But in the eyes of the law I don't think the trader is being unfair in saying you bought an £800 banger, now live with it.

I guess it boils down to the selling s**t and risking litigation

Pops see again below and also I checked with the Citizens Advice. I read them exactly what was stated. They said if the vehicle had been repaired then that would be a problem. They had to have changed something. That was their info to me.

Used motor vehicles - consumer rights

When you buy a used motor vehicle from a trader, you enter into a legally binding contract and you are entitled to expect that it is of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, and as described. An older vehicle with high mileage may not be as good as a newer vehicle with low mileage, but it should still be fit for use on the road and in a condition that reflects its age and price.

Traders cannot take away consumers' rights by using terms such as 'sold as seen' or 'no refunds'. If you buy a used vehicle from a trader online, you may have additional rights under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. You do not have the same legal rights if you buy a vehicle from a private seller or an auctionlink3.gif.

If the used vehicle is faulty, you have a short time after buying it to reject it. You may have other remedies such as repair or replacement. If the vehicle is faulty then you need to write to trader you bought it from. You should confirm the details of your complaint and the remedy you are seeking and keep copies of all correspondence. As a last resort, you may need to consider taking court action. Remember, used vehicles may have some faults, but they should not be excessive. Fair wear and tear is not considered to be a fault.

IMS....... most unlike you to intentionally miss the point........ editing/removing data, what gives you the god given right to compromise that decision and reinstate data specifically removed from this site?

This is not about web archives, spiders and bots this is about your interpretation of the site rules and the rights of posters within it

Apologies, I didn't realise I had missed the point.

I make the comments about archives simply so that all are aware of what happens. Some may not be familiar with how these things work.

There would seem little point in having a discussion about something where the original story was removed.

If the OP wishes to have data removed then of course they can always contact admin and give their reasons. A decision will then be made as to what, if anything, will be removed.

admin e-mail address is

[email protected] (no spaces)

Apologies, I didn't realise I had missed the point.

I make the comments about archives simply so that all are aware of what happens. Some may not be familiar with how these things work.

There would seem little point in having a discussion about something where the original story was removed.

If the OP wishes to have data removed then of course they can always contact admin and give their reasons. A decision will then be made as to what, if anything, will be removed.

admin e-mail address is

[email protected] (no spaces)

Lol...... of course you didn't Ims.

I think the OP already made that request in physically removing the data, so now it would seem that the OP must ask your permission to remove the data which you have posted.......... as I said, makes a nonsense of the edit facility for members.

Lol...... of course you didn't Ims.

I think the OP already made that request in physically removing the data, so now it would seem that the OP must ask your permission to remove the data which you have posted.......... as I said, makes a nonsense of the edit facility for members.

They don't ask me, they ask admin.

To remove the data you posted.........

To remove the post that they originally made, then removed which made a nonsense of the thread and which was reinstated.

No point in keep pushing, that is what the OP needs to do if they wish.

ims21 A short search will now allow those who would like to inform the car sales person of this discussion is now easily done. Especially those on this site who seem to want to nail me into the wreck I bought.

The car salesman will be getting a letter tomorrow and has already received an email. Since you have already altered it, why do you not remove the obvious details to protect me?

ims21 A short search will now allow those who would like to inform the car sales person of this discussion is now easily done. Especially those on this site who seem to want to nail me into the wreck I bought.

The car salesman will be getting a letter tomorrow and has already received an email. Since you have already altered it, why do you not remove the obvious details to protect me?

PM me the details you want removed and I'll have a look.

To remove the post that they originally made, then removed which made a nonsense of the thread and which was reinstated.

No point in keep pushing, that is what the OP needs to do if they wish.

I think it does need pushing IMS...... why have an edit facility if you or anyone on the site team can compromise same when it suits?

I think it does need pushing IMS...... why have an edit facility if you or anyone on the site team can compromise same when it suits?

In which case PM me or lodge your complaint with admin.

I have explained the position here already as far as this thread is concerned.

I have tried to pm you ims21 but when I pressed send I was told I do not have permission to use that service?

I have to go to bed now. I request that you take out the whole first bit that I deleted until I am able to give you the edited one

I have tried to pm you ims21 but when I pressed send I was told I do not have permission to use that service?

I have to go to bed now. I request that you take out the whole first bit that I deleted until I am able to give you the edited one

Have sent you a PM with an e-mail address you can use as the PM system doesn't appear to be working for you. Although the system doesn't want to let you send, it should allow you to receive my PM.

The vehicle is being held currently at XXXXX garage, in glastonbury, for you to pick up upon the payment of the above sum of money.

However I must advise you that you will need a trailer as this vehicle is not roadworthy.

what is the legal position regarding whats i have quoted. i would of thought YOU would have to return the vehicle to the trader with him giving you the refund.

Why do you fear the seller reading this thread? There are no details which identify you personally in the opening thread. Even if someone did manage to trace and contact the seller. Wouldn't it be in the interest of fairness for him to be able to give his side?

You can't leave it in the hands of the CAB and Trading Standards. CAB does not do things for you except give advice and TS are the same except if they receive enough complaints about a trader they will investigate, but not for you as a singular.

Viv. Perhaps you would care to give us some idea of what sort of help you initially asked for?

It appears that you criticise posters for their replies, but they are not responsible for your own shortcommings.

I was asked to help and gave an honest reply to a PM, setting out your options.

However, it has just occurred to me that it might have been wise to return the car as soon as you realised it was dangerous. IE shortly after starting off for home.

In a bid to offer further help could you say if car is Red in colour and have the letters ST as part of the registration number. I ask this as a long shot in case it's a car i may have knowledge of.

Hi Scania man and Conniff. Thanks for your concern.

I have, in the meantime, received support from 1 ex solicitor, and 2 ex policemen who have contacted me with regards to this.

This coupled with the CAB who said that at each stage I can check with them for anything I need to ask.

There is a local forum where I live and lots of people who know me are helping to support.

If you had read all the replies I made you will see that the man had already been hostile to me in his office. I realised that returning to him alone was not an option. This was because I had asked to count the cash again as I had such a migraine that I couldn't think let alone count.

He was particularly unpleasant and not a little unnerving by the manner he refused to let me check the money.

I have in the meantime found out that the "friend" who test drove the vehicle, has a history with carsales man. This could of accounted for some of the hostility. And as he is also an ex car sales man, maybe he did have designs on my vehicle? Which had been pointed out.

Thank you all for your concern but I do not need any more assistance.

Some of the "advice" was not in context and some were other peoples axes to grind.

I will not be returning after this. I am deleting all that I can and stopping all emails as the admin do not seem to get any of my emails or seem to respond.

I would like to thank, however, Mike Hawk for making a newby feel like there was some support.

I know that you site does help some people. I sincerely hope that it will continue to do so.

Goodbye.

Hi Scania man and Conniff. Thanks for your concern.

I have, in the meantime, received support from 1 ex solicitor, and 2 ex policemen who have contacted me with regards to this.

This coupled with the CAB who said that at each stage I can check with them for anything I need to ask.

There is a local forum where I live and lots of people who know me are helping to support.

If you had read all the replies I made you will see that the man had already been hostile to me in his office. I realised that returning to him alone was not an option. This was because I had asked to count the cash again as I had such a migraine that I couldn't think let alone count.

He was particularly unpleasant and not a little unnerving by the manner he refused to let me check the money.

I have in the meantime found out that the "friend" who test drove the vehicle, has a history with carsales man. This could of accounted for some of the hostility. And as he is also an ex car sales man, maybe he did have designs on my vehicle? Which had been pointed out.

Thank you all for your concern but I do not need any more assistance.

Some of the "advice" was not in context and some were other peoples axes to grind.

I will not be returning after this. I am deleting all that I can and stopping all emails as the admin do not seem to get any of my emails or seem to respond.

I would like to thank, however, Mike Hawk for making a newby feel like there was some support.

I know that you site does help some people. I sincerely hope that it will continue to do so.

Goodbye.

Hang on a minute. From the very start you said your friend wasn't a motor trade professional. But as it turns out, you now admit that he is.

Sorry to say this, but as you have contradicted your story several times over the course of the thread. I am disinclined to believe anything you say.

PS. The police (ex policeman or not) have never taken anything to do with consumer law as it is a civil matter not a criminal one.

Ex solicitor just managed to email you, but at the same time you complain of not being able to contact a moderator through email. :???::wink::!: