• Tweets

• the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Moorcroft new template letter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3757 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am sure that the site team already know but in case this is new info, Moorcroft are replying to the 'Doorstep' template letter from the library with their own letter, which implies that the details are 'Not relevant to these circumstances' i.e your alleged debt because they have been gleaned from 'various websites. Rubbish I know, but it may worry some new members to this forum, and a word or two from the site team may re-assure them

kind regards to all

Derichleau

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the csa are backing motormiles attitude.

The CSA will back nearly every DCA, the CSA President Sara De Tute is also Lowell's Legal & Compliance Director (so no conflict of interest of course).

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Moorcroft are replying to the 'Doorstep' template letter from the library with their own letter, which implies that the details are 'Not relevant to these circumstances'

Now Moorcroft have never used template letters to scare, intimidate and bully people into paying them!

As wrote above, they have no right on your property, if anyone does turn up, they have no more right than next doors dog has.

tell them to leave immediately, you do not have to confirm anything and if they refuse call the Police who will remove them for you.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If they try and say it doesnt apply to them, tell them, and make sure you follow it through, that you are sending it to the OFT/FOS and FSA for their input.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

A regular tactic most of the bottom dweller DCA's use, further proof of them trying to exploit a debtors lack of knowledge.

Pretty much they are a joke in their chosen industry, when they start sending out puerile missives like that, then you know full well

that they have absolutely no legal knowledge, powers, or any modicum of intelligence.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Joy! Maybe its worth rejigging the le letter ever so slightly... Just to track them off the scent?

Hasnt the CSA gone through a Ton of presidents as well?!?!

I didnt know Miss De Tute had now become President.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I didnt know Miss De Tute had now become President.

http://www.credittoday.co.uk/article/13748/online-news/sara-de-tute-to-join-lowell-group

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

In my opinion Its not even worth responding to DCA's, if they are serious they would start a claim through the courts.. or believe they have a Chance of winning.

Abbey Settled 3,600:cool:

Just started battle with

EGG

Virgin CC

Abbey

MBNA

In my opinion Its not even worth responding to DCA's, if they are serious they would start a claim through the courts.. or believe they have a Chance of winning.

Precisely

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Will it get you into trouble if you write

Dear sir. I would refer your client to the reply given by pressdman in Arkell v pressdman.

If you are not sure what i mean Google is a wonderful tool.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Wonderful!! Never heard of this before and it would be a good ploy to confuse DCA's. Look it up it's worth it.

Meanwhile would it be fair to say.....

1 There is a heirachy of DCA's the lower the more useless and the more likely that your debt will be returned

2 If an O C has gone to a DCA in the first place it is unlikely to sue.

3 The DCA's are getting seriously rattled by the fact that so many alleged debtors are fighting back.

Dear Sir,

We act for Mr Arkell who is Retail Credit Manager of Granada TV Rental Ltd. His attention has been drawn to an article appearing in the issue of Private Eye dated 9th April 1971 on page 4. The statements made about Mr Arkell are entirely untrue and clearly highly defamatory. We are therefore instructed to require from you immediately your proposals for dealing with the matter.

Mr Arkell's first concern is that there should be a full retraction at the earliest possible date in Private Eye and he will also want his costs paid. His attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of your reply.

Yours,

(Signed)

Goodman Derrick & Co.

------------------------------

Dear Sirs,

We acknowledge your letter of 29th April referring to Mr. J. Arkell.

We note that Mr Arkell's attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of our reply and would therefore be grateful if you would inform us what his attitude to damages would be, were he to learn that the nature of our reply is as follows: f*** off.

Yours,

Private Eye

icon18_edit_allbkg.gif

Wonderful!! Never heard of this before and it would be a good ploy to confuse DCA's. Look it up it's worth it.

1 There is a heirachy of DCA's the lower the more useless and the more likely that your debt will be returnedPersonally I would say the lower the more difficult to deal with as they are less compliant

2 If an O C has gone to a DCA in the first place it is unlikely to sue.Not sure I would subscribe to that theory as we know that debt purchaser sue on a regular basis

3 The DCA's are getting seriously rattled by the fact that so many alleged debtors are fighting back. They do seem to be coordinating against template letters and forums

Just my personal views. If you look at MH who were a nightmare and now Motormile who I think are ex MH people . They have scant regard for the law.

It is a tough environment out there for the DCA's because there are more and more can't pays and what is the use in making claims against people with little or no income, maybe negative equity

They have to work on scale now as seems to be demonstrated by the numbers of mergers and acquisitions. It is almost impossible to keep track of who now owns whom .

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I had a letter pushed through the door last month from some organization I've never heard of, about a debt I don't even owe!

I sent them an emailed doorstep letter but added that if anyone turned up and caused any embarrassment which resulted in financial loss I would sue them for damages, and that the last time I called the police about an unwanted visitor they responded in three minutes.

I haven't heard another word.

The "unwanted visitor" was actually a deaf man collecting for a charity for the deaf. It was quite late and I asked who it was without opening the door. But of course he couldn't hear me, and he kept banging loudly on the door and ringing the bell. I was terrified so called the police and they really did turn up in three minutes. He'd gone but they found him further down the road doing the same thing and advised him that just one knock or ring would do!

Debt purchasers sue regularly! Quite surprised by that. Don't get me wrong I totally believe you. However I always thought that if a debt was purchased it was right down at the bottom of the food chain and court action would not be viable. If you have time please reply I'm learning from you here I have a couple of pals I am attempting to help out.

1 There is a heirachy of DCA's the lower the more useless and the more likely that your debt will be returned

2 If an O C has gone to a DCA in the first place it is unlikely to sue.

3 The DCA's are getting seriously rattled by the fact that so many alleged debtors are fighting back.

Yes there is a hierarchy. There are debt collectors and debt buyers. The debt buyers are at the top and will always be more aggressive. Someone suggested yesterday on another thread that Lowell, for example, have about 5,000 cases on the go at once. Cabot are also keen to issue claims where they can.

The banks and card companies like to distance themselves from the nastier bits of debt collecting so if they ask for the money a couple of times and you don't pay they'll firstly use debt collectors but if these fail they then sell the accounts in a job lot to a debt buyer for about 10p in the £1. So if a debt buyer can get the original debt paid and the charges they load on top they will be very happy indeed.

The DCAs don't like people fighting back but I doubt if they are seriously rattled because most people will still be bullied into paying up because they are frightened or because they don't know how to fight back. I wouldn't have known where to begin without CAG.

It's very important to respond to letters from DCAs argumentatively. Put them on the spot and force them to let you know if they hold enforceable agreements. Make it very clear that you won't let them get away with producing cut and paste agreements, agreements without prescribed terms, or anything like that.

Quote the Waksman Judgment in Carey v HSBC paragraph 234 (4) about copies of original agreements having to be supplied where an agreement has been varied, and their obligations under CPUTR 2008. In other words, throw everything at them. If you see a cut and paste agreement tell them. Accuse them of misrepresentation. Anything you like.

Make it clear you are going to be a nightmare. It really does work.

I just keep it short and sweet....

Dear DCA

I am compiling a list of my creditors with a view to going bankrupt. Please supply full details of the alleged debt and you will be included in the list.

Even if I don't hear from you the communication previously sent will be added.

Goodbye and don't forget to NEVER call me on the phone as I can't afford one.

• Haha 1

I just keep it short and sweet....

Dear DCA

I am compiling a list of my creditors with a view to going bankrupt. Please supply full details of the alleged debt and you will be included in the list.

Even if I don't hear from you the communication previously sent will be added.

Goodbye and don't forget to NEVER call me on the phone as I can't afford one.

Love it. That is brilliant! I'm not 100% certain it would get them to back off immediately though if you had a large debt and sadly most of mine are, or were.

Just one more thing....

I know that some people think that a DCA can take them to court if they want to, and they will be able to fight it off if the DCA doesn't have an enforceable agreement but sadly that is not always the case. If you get a judge who thinks you are trying to avoid paying the money on a technicality they may well rule against you even when they shouldn't.

Unless you have all the legal arguments at your fingertips you may lose.

Read this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?217721-Cap1-debt-many-dcas-could-not-find-CCa-Dryden-Fairfax-Claim-form-HELP!

And here is another cautionary tale of a debt for less than £1,000 when Lowell issued a court claim. It's an absolute horror story.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?401203-lowell-joined-3-debts-2-mobile-1-credit-card-made-me-BK-now-want-my-house!!

So I may be a total wimp in that I don't want to go to Court, but I'd much rather see them off before it gets that far.

DD